Center Pole/ Trekking Pole

rbljack

WKR
Yeah if I am taking the Cimmaron along then I have myself and atleast one more person. If the wind really gets to honking I put two sets of trekking poles up there so they kinda share the windload. I haven't broke a set of single trekking poles (I use aluminum ones) but I figure two sets are better than one if I have the option to do so.

hey luke, do you have options for ditching the poles on the sawtooth shelter? Do sticks work or thin tree trucks (lodgepole pine for example) work well so I can ditch the weight of the poles for a sawtooth where wood is not a problem? anybody else run it this way?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
hey luke, do you have options for ditching the poles on the sawtooth shelter? Do sticks work or thin tree trucks (lodgepole pine for example) work well so I can ditch the weight of the poles for a sawtooth where wood is not a problem? anybody else run it this way?

I already ditch the rear pole anyways with he “Moffat mod”.

Often I use trekking poles for the front pole as well. If things get biblical a second set of trekking poles for a double pole up front and my tripod where the rear pole goes in addition to the guy loop on the outside of where the rear pole goes.

ianpadron

WKR
Curious if anyone has had any failures using the trekking pole as the center pole (a la moffat) for shelters that require a center pole (cimarron, SL5 etc.).

If you have not had any failures using the trekking poles, what brand and model are you using?

Thanks,

I had the genius idea of actually nesting two carbon fiber trekking poles together last year with my Sawtooth, and when tensioning everything down I heard a loud crack... Unzip the tent to find that the top trekking Pole had basically exploded on top of the other one due to the pressure.

It was a pair of Bearios poles, which have otherwise been bombproof.

I don't trust CF in high winds unless it's a small/short shelter like a Cimarron.

Those same poles made it through hell and back on a couple occasions holding up my old Cim.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

OP
Clarktar

Clarktar

WKR
I had the genius idea of actually nesting two carbon fiber trekking poles together last year with my Sawtooth, and when tensioning everything down I heard a loud crack... Unzip the tent to find that the top trekking Pole had basically exploded on top of the other one due to the pressure.

It was a pair of Bearios poles, which have otherwise been bombproof.

I don't trust CF in high winds unless it's a small/short shelter like a Cimarron.

Those same poles made it through hell and back on a couple occasions holding up my old Cim.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Well given I was using the Cimarron, I do not trust nested carbon trekking poles as a center pole anymore. And to be honest, I never felt the need for carbon trekking poles. I lost my trusty old school black diamond ones (8+ years, aluminum) and went to replace and could really only find CF ones at REI. I am now on the hunt for some good strong aluminum trekking poles again. Never had an issue with those poles, and the "weight" was never an issue for me.

87c97a51797420da6eeaf4dcdaebf209.jpg

The wind was really ripping that night and I was having some serious doubts, but my alumn black diamonds held my cimmaron up.

However a few weeks later during the packout from hell those damn poles kept collapsing on me repeatedly and I ate snowy chit on several occassions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk