Chamois Rug mount

Mojave

WKR
I have Chamois hunts this year. Has anyone done a goat, tahr or chamois as a rug mount?

abbrown

Lil-Rokslider
I've had two of my chamois hides soft tanned and they make great throws over a bannister or table or something. I preferred doing euros with the skull since the horns are appealing, then just use the skin. Can't find a photo but they look really nice, both the redder shorter summer coats and the winter deep dark black/white coats. The transition season salt-pepper coats are really nice too.

OP
Mojave

Mojave

WKR
abp490710.jpg

OP
Mojave

Mojave

WKR
I want to do it like this guy with the split hooves, and felt. Especially if I shoot a mid-sized one, with good fur. I don't know that I would do a super trophy this way.

OP
Mojave

Mojave

WKR
Thanks!

When it comes to the goat antelopes chamois got the short end of the stick on size. Compared to tahr and mountain goats they are lilliputian. I still think a flat skin wall skin taxidermy would look really cool.

OP
Mojave

Mojave

WKR
November in Slovenia he ought to be pretty flufffy.

I am in the lottery for chamois/gams in Germany. I should find out soon.

AKDoc

WKR
This is a Kodiak Mountain Goat, taken the last week in October several years ago. I had it rugged, and it turned out really well.

IMG_1563 2.jpeg

I always enjoy looking at it...brings back many memories!

Last edited:
Did you do anything on the underside of those throws?
I had intentions to sew a microfleece material to the back, but quickly determined that my seamstress skills are not up to par, and I didn't want to put anymore $$ into them to have them professionally done. Even with the leather back they're still pretty comfortable anyway, and we just keep them down at the cabin which fits the motif perfectly. :)

the hack

WKR
I had intentions to sew a microfleece material to the back, but quickly determined that my seamstress skills are not up to par, and I didn't want to put anymore $$ into them to have them professionally done. Even with the leather back they're still pretty comfortable anyway, and we just keep them down at the cabin which fits the motif perfectly. :)
I'd say the rug really ties the room together.