Chassis vs. Stock Setup?

cmeyer733

FNG
Not sure if this has been discussed much or not, did a couple quick searches and didn't turn anything up... I'm getting more into rifle hunting and beginning to build a new gun. 90% sure i'm going with a .300 PRC. Going to get a Proof Pre-fit barrel and Defiance action. Last decision is Stock or Chassis? I'm torn between XLR Element MG chassis and a Grayboe phoenix stock. I've never hunted with or even shot a chassis style gun, but really like the adjustability and capability to collapse the stock for packing. For rifle hunts I am probably 50/50 with backpack hunting and day hunting. Both options are coming in right around the same weight and close to same cost a well. Any thoughts or recommendations from people who have hunted or shot both styles? Or if this has been discussed much, point me in the right direction and ill delete this.

Thank you

Jmedin

FNG
I had the XLR Element 3.0 and personally I didn’t care for it. I like a normal stock better. Just my personal opinion

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Get behind a chassis if you can. It is personal preference all the way. Also, chassis are cold, cold, cold in the winter.

For me, nothing beats a nice stock with vertical grip. I wouldn't really trade for adjustments in my longer rifle. I might do it on a super small backpack rifle I am building. We will see.

Chassis just aren’t as comfortable to carry around. More bulky fore ends on most and the long protruding aics mags don’t help. And they are cold.

OP
cmeyer733

cmeyer733

FNG
Right on, thanks guys. I think I’ll go with a stock, you guys have kind of firmed up my thoughts on leaning that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right on, thanks guys. I think I’ll go with a stock, you guys have kind of firmed up my thoughts on leaning that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I really feel the opposite of what most said about specifically the XLR 3.0 chassis. It’s not for everyone or every build. But there is a lot of value and versatility to have a folding design, with the ability to adjust and make modular to add rails, you get an adjustable cheek rest, you can add or remove weight for various shooting applications, add or try different buttstocks, grips, etc. all while being able to drop in any rifle with the same action footprint at anytime and shoot. For a true backpack gun the folding capability alone is something you need to try to understand.

They aren’t any bulkier, and they don’t get any colder than a carbon rifle stock. I own 2 of the XLR 3.0 magnesium’s, and also own AG, McMillan, and manners carbon stocks. They all have their place, but one isn’t really superior to the other. You compromise on something with every choice you make.

Last edited:
I really like the chassis. The folding butt section alone is worth it. Fantastic ergonomics , very rugged, easy to bolt on accessories if you fancy shooting off a tripod. I like the KRG for the plastic skins that don’t make my hands cold when the temps drop.

If you're going to do any kind of hunting other than shooting from a bipod/tripod, go with a regular stock.
I think I understand what you’re aiming at here and don’t totally disagree. But, I shot a mule deer off my trekking poles while I was seated this year and also shot a whitetail standing offhand for a quick ~100’ish yard shot, gun was in a kifaru gun bearer. Both animals with the same gun in the XLR chassis.

The chassis isn’t a one trick pony.

Flyjunky

WKR
I think I understand what you’re aiming at here and don’t totally disagree. But, I shot a mule deer off my trekking poles while I was seated this year and also shot a whitetail standing offhand for a quick ~100’ish yard shot, gun was in a kifaru gun bearer. Both animals with the same gun in the XLR chassis.

The chassis isn’t a one trick pony.
I'm sorry, I wasn't very clear with what I was trying to get across. I know it's not a one trick pony but in terms of handling in a still hunting, quick reaction, type shot the balance and handling isn't as good as a regular hunting type stock. I could even say the same thing to a certain degree about a stock that promotes a more vertical (long range) hand position.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm sorry, I wasn't very clear with what I was trying to get across. I know it's not a one trick pony but in terms of handling in a still hunting, quick reaction, type shot the balance and handling isn't as good as a regular hunting type stock. I could even say the same thing to a certain degree about a stock that promotes a more vertical (long range) hand position.
I disagree, but its largely subjective opinion most of the time. Quick handling is largely a function of your comfort and what you are used to.

Unless a shooter is willing and wants to commit to making the transition, the shooter should probably not get a chassis. It does take time to build in memory and feel "comfortable" in a new platform.

For quick pointing, pistols with vertical grips work just fine. A vertical grip rifle is much the same ergonomics as a pistol. Pointing a vertical grip rifle is as natural as pointing your finger or a pistol. In fact, if you run your finger along the side of the action that is exactly what you do.

Balance is just a function of physics and where you put the weight.

Overall, I prefer a stock myself, but it isn't any quicker handling than a chassis. And, my vertical grip stock is faster for me than the old school style because I just never really shoot with them.

Flyjunky

WKR
I disagree, but its largely subjective opinion most of the time. Quick handling is largely a function of your comfort and what you are used to.

Unless a shooter is willing and wants to commit to making the transition, the shooter should probably not get a chassis. It does take time to build in memory and feel "comfortable" in a new platform.

For quick pointing, pistols with vertical grips work just fine. A vertical grip rifle is much the same ergonomics as a pistol. Pointing a vertical grip rifle is as natural as pointing your finger or a pistol. In fact, if you run your finger along the side of the action that is exactly what you do.

Balance is just a function of physics and where you put the weight.

Overall, I prefer a stock myself, but it isn't any quicker handling than a chassis. And, my vertical grip stock is faster for me than the old school style because I just never really shoot with them.

I can respect that, everyone is different. What I find interesting is that I have both a vertical grip rifle and a more "sporter" stock that I use for elk hunting depending on the type of hunt I'm doing. It could be barrel length and such but I find my sport stock much quicker and it swings much better than the other even though I use my long range setup 90% of the time.

Lawnboi

WKR
I also disagree. I prefer a vertical grip off hand, especially on a rifle with some recoil

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I can respect that, everyone is different. What I find interesting is that I have both a vertical grip rifle and a more "sporter" stock that I use for elk hunting depending on the type of hunt I'm doing. It could be barrel length and such but I find my sport stock much quicker and it swings much better than the other even though I use my long range setup 90% of the time.

Barrel length is probabaly the single biggest factor for fast pointing and handling. A distant second, IMO is length of pull.

If you could swap stocks on your rifles, that would be an interesting experiment.

The stock vs chassis comes down to preferences and options, really. I have had many chassis, I liked them all, but kept coming back to my well fit stocks.

I have a Howa Mini Action I am having rebarreled as a back pack gun, and that is probably going in a chassis to get the folding option. It will be my only chassis.

One thing that I think makes the difference for me is in the grip and where I put my thumb. Chassis force my thumb all the way over to my trigger finger side. With a stock, I can rest it in line with the tang or wrap around.

The only chassis ever to feel comfortable to me was the ARC Xylo. It has the ergonomics in the grip exactly like the stocks I run. One day, I will get one to play with.

ericwh

WKR
Other than some like a RPR or Sig Cross, where the safety is in the typical AR location, isn't safety manipulation an issue with a buffer-tube-style chassis?

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Other than some like a RPR or Sig Cross, where the safety is in the typical AR location, isn't safety manipulation an issue with a buffer-tube-style chassis?
Aftermarket chassis will have provisions/reliefs for the safety to be located in the same factory location just like a stock would be. so manipulation would not be any different.