Cheap Stuff that Works

Duh

WKR
If anyone’s looking for some cheap solid cold weather shooting gloves, I just used this combo yesterday while coyote hunting in North Dakota. It was -18 with a wind chill that made it feel like -40.

I paired the Brushed tricot huntsman pop top mittens from scheels ($34 dollars) with a very thin waterproof layering glove from runnings ($5). I added the layering glove to help protect from the wind chill and to say it did awesome would be an understatement. I hate wearing gloves for anything and especially hate it for shooting but these a surprisingly tolerable. Running a call is no issue either. They’re not bulky like a lot of mittens and gloves can be. The also have zippers to put hand warmers in but I didn’t need them.

Prior to this, I used Sitka pantanal GTX Gloves ($140-150 dollars) and they were just okay in windy conditions. My fingers still got cold and shooting with them flat out sucked! Even running a ecaller remote was a bit of a pain with these gloves. I was so annoyed with them after two sets that I put on the brushed tricot gloves and planned on my hands just freezing. But altleast I would be able to operate my gun and call. I was pleasantly surprised that my hands never got cold for the remainder of the day. I’m sold on these for the remainder of the winter.

Attachments

• IMG_6972.jpeg
    IMG_6972.jpeg
    534 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_6973.jpeg
    IMG_6973.jpeg
    488 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_6974.jpeg
    IMG_6974.jpeg
    334 KB · Views: 131

BLJ

WKR
Costco fleece lined pants did good today. Around 25* for about 2 hours. Seem to hold out the wind relatively well.
Does Costco offer a non-lined pair of pants, like the Wranglers?

Costco fleece lined pants did good today. Around 25* for about 2 hours. Seem to hold out the wind relatively well.
Yeah they do just less pockets than the wranglers. The wranglers have held up for me for three years through everything I can throw at them. The fleece lined costco do the trick though.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Tbuckus

WKR
Yeah they do just less pockets than the wranglers. The wranglers have held up for me for three years through everything I can throw at them. The fleece lined costco do the trick though.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Are you talking about the Walmart wrangler Stretch pants or some fleece type wranglers?

Bought two of those the other day. I have been looking for one with a hood for awhile. Also got one of the condor 2 grid fleeces , really impressed with it for $24.

rtkbowhunter

Lil-Rokslider

Yes. Orvis Tech Pants. I actually like them a little bit better than the Wranglers. In stock comes and goes... I check frequently.

Reactions: BLJ

PaulDogs

FNG
Anyone looking for a good tripod that is cheap (compared to the uber expensive ones), I really like the slik sprint 150. It's about $60 on Amazon and has worked well for me.

The ball head is not bad, but I wouldn't go back to it now that I've upgraded to the VA-5. Regardless, I didn't have any issues with it after 3 seasons. Comes in at 2.3 pounds.

Tbuckus

WKR
Yes. Orvis Tech Pants. I actually like them a little bit better than the Wranglers. In stock comes and goes... I check frequently.
X2 on the Orvis tech pants although I wouldn’t necessarily say they are a thinner version of the fleece pants.
They are comparable to the wrangler but way better.
They are a slightly looser fit, which for my frame I prefer. I don’t like snug pants around my thighs.
They also are less stretchy, staying snug and don’t feel like they are falling down.
Liked them so much I bought a pair for my kids.

BLJ

WKR
X2 on the Orvis tech pants although I wouldn’t necessarily say they are a thinner version of the fleece pants.
They are comparable to the wrangler but way better.
They are a slightly looser fit, which for my frame I prefer. I don’t like snug pants around my thighs.
They also are less stretchy, staying snug and don’t feel like they are falling down.
Liked them so much I bought a pair for my kids.
A little looser than the Wranglers would work better for me. I’ll check them out.

fey

FNG
Do these look like the same pants? For me the wranglers have been comfortable but they started pilling after a few washes.

Orvis Mens Classic Collection Lightweight 5 Pocket Trek Pant https://a.co/d/7f3pmP4

$25 - $30 used on eBay. Stuff these in your pack for stopping to glass. Full length zippers so you can leave your boots on. LOVE these things for the price.

ddub

FNG
Do these look like the same pants? For me the wranglers have been comfortable but they started pilling after a few washes.

Orvis Mens Classic Collection Lightweight 5 Pocket Trek Pant https://a.co/d/7f3pmP4
Yeah I have a pair of the orvis and they are beyond comfortable and seem somewhat durable. Did some light field work (kayaking and loading boats etc) in them and they didn't look worn at all.

I bought 8 pairs of these when they went to $13 each.

Super comfy and seem tough so far. I wear them touring land, hiking, etc and they are holding up great so far. Unbelievably light weight. They feel
Lighter than the wrangles, which I absolutely love too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro