Cheapest Spotting Scopes for Range use out to 300-400 yards

I have read a lot of comments on spotting scopes and the opinions vary. I currently use binos for hunting and that's all I need. I need a spotting scope for long distance target shooting at the range out to 300-400 yards. I want to be able to see my shots on a florescent marking target. What are my cheapest options that can still do this effectively?

I almost bought myself a Vortex Diamondback for around $300 but was unable to determine if this would be enough? I want to buy once, cry once...but I also don't want to be crying over a $2k spotting scope if a $300 one will get the same job done. If the scope is good at seeing a single shot at 300 yards, would I still be able to see my group of 5 shots at 500 yards? Give me a range of what it is capable of. What do you all use and do you like them?

(I am not a competition shooter. My hunting setup is already good to go. Right now I just like building my own rifles, loading my own ammo, and seeing how accurate I can get as a personal best. I don't need anything fancy.)

I have a vanguard 15-45x65 for sale in the classifieds for 200. You won’t find better glass for that price if you’re interested.

OP
M
if you wish to see bullet holes at 400 it will cost ya.
I am willing to pay the money if that is for sure what I need. To clarify, I guess I don't need to see the actual hole but I would like to know if I hit the target at all at 400 yards. I do you florescent marking targets. Do you have a recommendation?

OP
M
I have a vanguard 15-45x65 for sale in the classifieds for 200. You won’t find better glass for that price if you’re interested.
Is 45x magnification able to do what I am asking? I am sure the glass quality is amazing, and I am sure $200 is a great price, but I want to try an learn a little bit more to know if that will work for what I need it to. Have you used this spotting scope for long distance target shooting?

Valumpessa

Lil-Rokslider
Fwiw, I previously used my Vortex Razor 65mm spotter for exactly what you're describing - viewing shots on splash targets out to 400 yds. Aside from midday mirage in the summer, I had no issues seeing the hits. It was fun standing a few feet behind the shooter and watching the bullet trace before impact. Good luck in your search.

TaperPin

WKR
To 300 yards most cheap scopes probably work fine - 400 yards and it depends on the target and lighting conditions, but I’ve had spray painted steel targets that you could easily see at 400 with an inexpensive Windriver scope - I see these sell for $100 on eBay once in a while. Many cheap scopes that go up to 45x aren’t very clear at the top end. I’ve heard of a cheap15x to 45x that the owner could see better with it at 20x and viewing it through their cell phone camera zoomed in a bit.

Is 45x magnification able to do what I am asking? I am sure the glass quality is amazing, and I am sure $200 is a great price, but I want to try an learn a little bit more to know if that will work for what I need it to. Have you used this spotting scope for long distance target shooting?
I’ve only used it for spotting targets at 200 yards and it had no problem with shoot and see type targets at that range at around 25x magnification. I think in good lighting it will do what you want but I have never tried it so I’m only speculating.

4th_point

WKR
I need a spotting scope for long distance target shooting at the range out to 300-400 yards. I want to be able to see my shots on a florescent marking target. What are my cheapest options that can still do this effectively?

If the scope is good at seeing a single shot at 300 yards, would I still be able to see my group of 5 shots at 500 yards? Give me a range of what it is capable of. What do you all use and do you like them?
I've owned several scopes, from $100 Barska on up, for similar purposes. It's no problem to see a few impacts on steel at 500+ or shoot-n-see type targets at 400+. You really just need enough optical quality to detect high contrast.

However, once you start looking at tight groups it can get hard to distinguish one impact from another. And it can be easy to lose track of impacts, even with several observers using their own cheap scopes watching live fire. That requires decent resolution and a good observer, or decent video.

I think you're on the right track with your requirements. But ultimately, you will need to confirm for yourself with whatever you end up buying.

That may seem obvious, but you are asking us for recommendations at the lowest end of the quality scale where optical design and quality can vary widely. Manufacturers of high end spotting scopes can have problems with quality control. And sample variation applies to the observer and not just the optic. So what you are asking for is not easy to answer.

Just buy from a vendor with good return policy and be prepared to be disappointed. You may get what you want the first shot, but you may find yourself upgrading down the road so keep that in mind!

If I were in your shoes I would call Doug about one of the bigger Konus scopes that were once popular in target shooting for low budget shooters. They used to be just a couple hundred dollars. And see if he has a newer/better recommendation for low bucks.

Good luck

OP
M
I've owned several scopes, from $100 Barska on up, for similar purposes. It's no problem to see a few impacts on steel at 500+ or shoot-n-see type targets at 400+. You really just need enough optical quality to detect high contrast.

However, once you start looking at tight groups it can get hard to distinguish one impact from another. And it can be easy to lose track of impacts, even with several observers using their own cheap scopes watching live fire. That requires decent resolution and a good observer, or decent video.

I think you're on the right track with your requirements. But ultimately, you will need to confirm for yourself with whatever you end up buying.

That may seem obvious, but you are asking us for recommendations at the lowest end of the quality scale where optical design and quality can vary widely. Manufacturers of high end spotting scopes can have problems with quality control. And sample variation applies to the observer and not just the optic. So what you are asking for is not easy to answer.

Just buy from a vendor with good return policy and be prepared to be disappointed. You may get what you want the first shot, but you may find yourself upgrading down the road so keep that in mind!

If I were in your shoes I would call Doug about one of the bigger Konus scopes that were once popular in target shooting for low budget shooters. They used to be just a couple hundred dollars. And see if he has a newer/better recommendation for low bucks.

Good luck
That makes a lot of sense. I didn't think to account for quality control variation. Thank you.

I normally by online, but buying from a local store with a good return policy is a good idea...or Amazon.

Blue72

WKR
Nikon ED50 from a Japanese retailer or Amazon Japan is dirt cheap and the glass is nothing short of amazing

it has a long running reputation for a reason

OP
M
^^ What Doug says. I've been very impressed with mine for range work (got it from Cameraland). Obviously it's not alpha glass but you're not paying alpha prices. For the money it's a very good option. Call gr8fuldoug and he will hook you up.
^ And you purchased the Ares series? Is the 45x magnification enough? I am hoping that with better scopes, the max magnification still produces clear viewing. You ever wish you got a 60x? I see that the Argos series goes to 60x, but is also cheaper so probably the quality isn't good enough.

Check out the vanguards. I found a refurbished Endeavor HD 20-60x82a on Amazon with a tripod for $200. It’s pretty heavy but good glass for the range or truck window.

OP
M
Nikon ED50 from a Japanese retailer or Amazon Japan is dirt cheap and the glass is nothing short of amazing

it has a long running reputation for a reason
^^ What eyepiece do you use with your Nikon ED50? Looks to me you purchase the body and then attach the eyepiece you want that is purchased separately.

Thanks everyone for the information. For what I want, it looks like I am looking for a spotting scope in the $500-$600 range.

My last question - is 45x magnification high enough (with a $550 quality scope) for target shooting on a florescent splash target out to 350-400 yards?...or do I need a 60x?