Cheapest Spotting Scopes for Range use out to 300-400 yards

Valumpessa

Lil-Rokslider
My last question - is 45x magnification high enough (with a $550 quality scope) for target shooting on a florescent splash target out to 350-400 yards?...or do I need a 60x?
Yes, if conditions are right (low mirage), you should have no problem. Again, speaking from my experience with the Razor at 48x.

Honyock

WKR
^ And you purchased the Ares series? Is the 45x magnification enough? I am hoping that with better scopes, the max magnification still produces clear viewing. You ever wish you got a 60x? I see that the Argos series goes to 60x, but is also cheaper so probably the quality isn't good enough.
I got the Ares G2 UHD 65 from Doug @ Cameraland. For what I use it for, primarily for 300 yards, the 45x is plenty for me. You won't be seeing bullet holes on a regular paper target @ 400 yards with it, but I think that's unrealistic with 45x. Splatter targets yes, but not regular paper. The glass is really good for the price point. This is a pretty good review on how it compares to other similar spotters. https://backwoodspursuit.com/best-spotting-scope-for-hunting/

OP
M
I got the Ares G2 UHD 65 from Doug @ Cameraland. For what I use it for, primarily for 300 yards, the 45x is plenty for me. You won't be seeing bullet holes on a regular paper target @ 400 yards with it, but I think that's unrealistic with 45x. Splatter targets yes, but not regular paper. The glass is really good for the price point. This is a pretty good review on how it compares to other similar spotters. https://backwoodspursuit.com/best-spotting-scope-for-hunting/
Thanks so much for the article. You have me convinced. I think I'm going to go with the Ares G2 UHD 65, and Cameraland has the best prices by far. Just need to come up with the money before the end of August, which is doable.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Blue72

WKR
^^ What eyepiece do you use with your Nikon ED50? Looks to me you purchase the body and then attach the eyepiece you want that is purchased separately.

Thanks everyone for the information. For what I want, it looks like I am looking for a spotting scope in the $500-$600 range.

My last question - is 45x magnification high enough (with a $550 quality scope) for target shooting on a florescent splash target out to 350-400 yards?...or do I need a 60x?

I use the fixed magnification eyepieces, they are near alpha glass quality. At least the sample I have.

the 20x eyepiece is brighter and more comfortable

16x eyepiece is even better, but at that point I rather have 15x binoculars

Like I said, it has a excellent reputation for a reason

Tonyslong

FNG
Classified Approved
I have read a lot of comments on spotting scopes and the opinions vary. I currently use binos for hunting and that's all I need. I need a spotting scope for long distance target shooting at the range out to 300-400 yards. I want to be able to see my shots on a florescent marking target. What are my cheapest options that can still do this effectively?

I almost bought myself a Vortex Diamondback for around $300 but was unable to determine if this would be enough? I want to buy once, cry once...but I also don't want to be crying over a $2k spotting scope if a $300 one will get the same job done. If the scope is good at seeing a single shot at 300 yards, would I still be able to see my group of 5 shots at 500 yards? Give me a range of what it is capable of. What do you all use and do you like them?

(I am not a competition shooter. My hunting setup is already good to go. Right now I just like building my own rifles, loading my own ammo, and seeing how accurate I can get as a personal best. I don't need anything fancy.)
I use one & spot fine even at 500