Check my Wife's Elk Arrow Build

treillw

WKR
I think I have settled on an arrow build for my wife for elk hunting. Just wanted to see what you guys think of it and if you see any problems and might do something differently. This will be her first year archery elk hunting and I want her to have the best chance of making a clean kill as possible.

She currently has about 35 ft*lb of energy to play with. Shooting a 435 grain arrow @ 189 fps. 25" draw length pulling 40-45 pounds, depending on the bow. Penetration and power is my biggest worry.

I'm thinking of a 400 spine 4mm full metal jacket match with Iron Will inserts and collars along with their broadheads.

s125 broadhead - 125 grains
Iron Will Insert - 100 grains
Iron Will Collar - 25 grains
4mm FMJ Match @ ~25" - 250 grains
Luminock - 28 grains
Total Weight ~ 528 grains

This should give her a velocity of about 170 fps, high FOC, and hopefully a lot of penetration.

Thoughts?

It might be better to drop down to a 75 grain insert and go with a buff150 head without the bleeder blades. I will call Iron Will on monday to get their thoughts.

Thanks!

The specs you posted look very close to mine. I prefer heavy arrows but don't get too crazy with the foc.

My arrows are moving a good deal faster than hers but I think you're on the right track. Were it me I'd probably keep the total weight between 475-500 to retain a little speed and flatten the trajectory just a touch.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

My girlfriend is shooting around 440gr. She’s shooting a 4 pin fixed sight and it’s all we can do to get her at 20-25-30-35. The arrows have a lot of drop. She’s around 24.5 and 40lbs. At 525gr she would have a hard time getting any distance out of her sight. Something to consider depending on the shift you’re using.

That will do it. I concur on removing bleeder blades or getting the buff series.

She is shooting recurve speeds which means keeping the shots close. Her pin gaps will be larger so I would have her pins set to every 5 yrds.

Depending on what sight she has one with a long sight arm will help make the gaps smaller if this is an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would still with your original build, no issue with that set up with bleeder blades and the bigger wound channel will come in handy.

That will do it. I concur on removing bleeder blades or getting the buff series.

She is shooting recurve speeds which means keeping the shots close. Her pin gaps will be larger so I would have her pins set to every 5 yrds.

Depending on what sight she has one with a long sight arm will help make the gaps smaller if this is an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A shorter sight will make for tighter pin gaps.

She has just about at much energy as I do with my recurve. She shouldnt have any issue getting a pass through or at least two holes in an elk with the arrow you are talking about. Obviously there is going to be some arc but she is limited by energy already. so theres really no arrow that is going to be good for her to shoot long range. Just keep it inside 30 and you are good to go.

Both work.

I would probably have just put a straight 2 blade on there and called it good.

She is essentially shooting a stick bow arrow at 170....and there is a lot of room for error on her shot distances.

_____

Both work.

I would probably have just put a straight 2 blade on there and called it good.

She is essentially shooting a stick bow arrow at 170....and there is a lot of room for error on her shot distances.

_____

That's funny. I thought I remember your post reading different than this. 😛

Is it a mistake to drop the weight of the arrow down to get more speed?
I think it depends on her. If she is a great shot, knows what to do out what? 40 yards max? Then keep her where she is at. A 100 grains lighter wouldn't be horrible and would really help with drop. Is s big deer difference in this case.

For my wife I have her at 45 pounds with a 400 spine FMJ at a total weight of 440 or 415 depending on the point.

My wife shoots a similar build comes out to 530 grains and she shoots a vpa 3 blade but works well on elk for her. 24” draw at 47 ish pounds.

That's funny. I thought I remember your post reading different than this. 😛
Not sure what you mean?

In general, I do typically prefer a heavier arrow ...and recommend that to many guys shooting modern compounds that are 60#, 70#. Those bows have energy to burn...why waste it on a light arrow? Plus its not a big trajectory difference going from 290fps to 270fps...or something like that.

This ^ is not a difficult tradeoff vs someone with a low energy setup- totally different ballgame.

You are getting into turd arrow range at 170fps. [I resemble that remark -grin- shooting a stick bow and 585gr arrow] ...her range estimation will have to be smack on...as 2-3 yards at 40 makes a big difference. Now if she is only shooting 20 yd pre ranged shots from a tree stand...then arrow weight is a non issue.

If she is elk hunting on foot where exact range might be tough...or shooting field rounds...anything requiring accurate range on a little longer targets...then she is handicapped with the 170fps trajectory.

Sure penetration is always a factor to consider....but one can always max out penetration with a 2 blade BH.

Its all a tradeoff as you know.....

I like the Axis over the FMJ. I take the weight I save in GPI and stack it up front for a little extra FOC.

Good information. How are her drops? What is her max range? What bow sight?

Thanks!
She’s good to 50 with a black gold rush 5 pin. Her drops are far less than you’d expect honestly until you get past 50. Sometimes she will shoot with us out to 110 not sure how far over the target she holds but she can hit foam usually.

So I've had two bow techs at local shops tell me to go lighter with her arrows. I would say that both of them have respectable bow knowledge.

The guys today told me to go with a 375 grain arrow for her and use a cut on contact broadhead and he is certain that she will get pass throughs at 30 yards.

The whole heavy arrow/momentum thing makes sense to me, but at the same time this shop owner has probably setup 100 kids bows for kids to go shoot elk over the years. He would also be sending his kid into the field with a 375 grain arrow. That has to carry some weight, when he has tens of thousands of dollars of archery equipment sitting there and can do whatever he wants.

Thoughts?

Back