Checking scope before every hunt?

vhr1079

FNG
I keep a log for every rifle. This includes torque specs, dates, zero range, and lots more. Helps when you are juggling multiple rifles and like to tinker a lot.

Erict

WKR
I check my scope before every hunt by making sure it's set on the lowest magnification just in case I need to make quick target aquisition.

Like others, don't see the value in shooting each time I walk out the door but would do what I needed if I suspected the gun/scope took an unexpected jolt.

Carpenterant

Lil-Rokslider
I usually shoot regularly but this year the Forest has been closed since April. Hunting next week and haven’t shot since March so I’m kinda nervous.

rayporter

WKR
personally i would trust those lasers for about 25 yd, maybe 50 max. they are not useless but have their limits. i used one to set up an old chrony before i got a LR. and for bore sighting some find them helpful but i feel i can be just as accurate bore sighting with my eye.

i will admit that it is possible and if shown the error of my ways i would change my mind.

the target dont lie.
Why not just carry a bullet type bore sight and check it?

Reactions: crl

Hunter56

FNG
1 shot won't hurt before the hunt. You're gun being off, however, can ruin your day real quick!

Why not just carry a bullet type bore sight and check it?

I was of the impression that these are not very accurate and really only to get you on paper. Figured Jim shockey rocks them because his Leupolds were losing zero bad enough to be off paper😐

madcalfe

WKR
If your mounts and optics are any good, it's entirely unnecessary.
Any optic/mount that can't hold zero under normal use and abuse is a major liability. If it can't hold zero in between hunts, what are the odds it holds zero in between days of hunting?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
I wouldn’t necessarily trust that just because my mounts and scope are top of the line nothing should ever happen. I purchased a kahles k318i 4000$ scope lasted me a month before having to send it to Swarovski which they sent me a new one back.

RMajors

Lil-Rokslider
Your gun, scope, and mounts will dictate if the zero will shift at all.
Agreed, I use Warne Maxima bases and rings, and I put blue loctite on the screws for the bases. The machining tolerances are very tight, they grip the scope like a vise,, and the torque wrench they sell to install their stuff ensures even pressure and contact on the tube. I run them on all my rifles and have never had my zero shift at all including after a 10 foot drop. Leupold scopes have always worked great and shown great toughness for me as well. I shoot my deer rifle once before season, and will check again if I bump it or fall or do anything to jar it. I haven't had to recheck my zero in several years, and haven't hit anywhere except where I was aiming, taking 8 deer in the last 3 years. It certainly doesn't hurt to shoot your rifle regularly and I do shoot often, but I prefer to practice with my short action calibers to save money on ammo. A lot of my friends will buy a nice scope and put crappy rings and bases on them that cost almost as much as the good ones. If you figure in the cost of ammo from constantly checking your zero or worrying about your zero, you probably don't really save any money buying cheap mounts. I know Warne isn't the only good manufacturer, I just feel like the Maxima is the best value in a high quality mounts you can buy. $65 will have you in business for bases and rings for a 1" tube. 30mm rings obviously cost a bit more. My point is they are basically set it and forget it mounts.

Around here, the rifle clubs open up a few weeks before whitetail season and most "hunters" bring their rifle out fire 3 rds at 100 yds and as long as it hit an 8.5x11 sheet of paper, they call it good. Like most on this forum, I need my gear (and me) to shoot better and most consistent than that.

I check hunting (and non-hunting) rigs throughout the year with the ammo I'm hunting with, record the data in my books, and validate immediately prior to going on a big hunt. Establishing confidence in your equipment carries out into the field.

toughluck

FNG
I check zero a month before season opener and only check it again if the gun takes a hard hit. A good scope with good rings and bases should not lose zero.