Cheek Weld on EH1?

SloppyJ

WKR
I am really wanting an adjustable EH 1 for my 300prc build. I've never personally handled a Manners stock, let alone shouldered one. Being left handed makes it super hard to find things in stock or used but I managed to find an EH1 in the swamp color that I liked. The problem with it is that it's not adjustable. Do most people seem to find the height okay for their optics?

I will mount my 50mm NX8 on top of this. I'm running the lowest rings I can so it's not any higher than it needs to be. My fear is that I drop close to $1k on a Manners and I have to rig it up with some sort of third party cheek riser. If it's even questionable, I think I'd rather order one and just wait for it or look at an AG which seem to have a quicker build time.

I'm not in a huge hurry for it but having all the parts here except the stock and just staring at them during rifle season wouldn't be preferred.

kswaterfowl

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Tikka in an eh1, and I had to add a stock pack. I will probably end up sending it to Stockdoc to add an adjustable cheek piece. I'm running a burris xtr iii 3-18x50 in ARC rings.

OP
SloppyJ

SloppyJ

WKR
I have a Tikka in an eh1, and I had to add a stock pack. I will probably end up sending it to Stockdoc to add an adjustable cheek piece. I'm running a burris xtr iii 3-18x50 in ARC rings.
Bummer. I was afraid of that. I do know that's a completely different stock though at least they list it that way to order. Not sure how the dimensions differ.

kswaterfowl

Lil-Rokslider
Bummer. I was afraid of that. I do know that's a completely different stock though at least they list it that way to order. Not sure how the dimensions differ.
I have to run either stock packs or an adjustable cheek piece on all my rifles to get a comfortable cheek weld.

SDHNTR

WKR
I have a 30mm tube and 50 mm objective scope on medium rings on my EHI and have no need for a higher cheek weld.

SDHNTR

WKR
Manners sells an aftermarket cheek kit if you think you need more height.
I have a 50mm NX8 on a 20 moa rail and Nightforce low rings with no issues on an EH1.
I have it, and per above, I don’t even use it. The riser is sitting on the shelf. Maybe useful for 56mm+ or 34mm tubes, no need for those imo.

OP
SloppyJ

SloppyJ

WKR
Thanks for the multiple points of confirmation. Think I'll pull the trigger and skip the weight on the fixed version. If it doesn't work out, sounds like the kit is always an option but I'm hoping I don't need it.

I run (2) EH1 on a 300 & 338 Norma both with 4-32 NX8, 20MOA rail and medium rings. I don’t find that I need a cheek riser.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'd echo to go without, and add one on later if you need.

I have changed my opinion on the value of adjustable cheek pieces. I mount my scope on the higher side, bring the rifle directly under my cheek with butt on my collar bone, and then index off of my cheek. My neck is in a neutral alignment. Going to a light index pressure on my jaw bone is all I need, and getting into the scope is automatic.

To get to the point that I didn't need a cheek piece, I worked on meticulously setting up the rifle to my body in a relaxed position. I found that I didn't need the cheek piece and that with a straight or negative comb stock, I am more comfortable shooting in any position. That made me more consistent as a result and helped get groups more consistent.

As for another practical benefit, I also found that resting my cheek on the rifle imparts an added influence so that after the shot, my reticle always jumped further up and the the left as my cheek pushed the butt down and to the right.

Lawnboi

WKR
No cheek piece with the same scope. I don’t like a lot of cheek pressure, and prefer more of a jaw weld. The eh1 is almost too high.

The UL cheek piece is an option if in the future you want a raised cheek piece. That can be added any time by manners, and adds minimal weight.

IdahoBeav

WKR
Bumping this thread:

I am looking at ordering an EH1 for a CA Ridgeline LA with a NF ATACR 5-25x56, 20 MOA rail, and NF ultralight 34mm rings (1.00" height). The lowest point on the bell end of the scope is about 3/16" off the top of the barrel.

I know each shooter is different, but any guesses on the cheek weld? Doable without a stock pack? With the original CA stock, I use a Beartooth comb raising kit with the thickest foam insert, and the weld I get is pretty good.