Choosing hells canyon speed caliber

Crippledsledge64

Lil-Rokslider
I'm sure these types of threads are pretty rare on here but i'm looking for a bit more insight into my caliber choice for elk hunting next year (can't get out this year since i'm not considered a resident yet). Held a hells canyon speed the other day and really like the feel and look of the rifle. Thought I decided on the 308 but starting looking into other options and now aren't so sure.
Thoughts between the 308, 30-06, and 28 Nosler? I'm not a long range guy and keep all my shots under 300 but might push out to 400 someday with enough bench time. I'll also be picking up reloading soon since I like to do everything at once apparently and also have a 25-06 in the closet.
Thanks in advance for the thoughts and good luck to everyone who can make it out this year.

Kotaman

WKR
If you’re gonna carry it much, I like the short action, so my choice would be .308. Bullet/ammo choice is also widely available and extremely flexible. For mountain hunting I pick the short action over the long action every time.

LightFoot

WKR
I agree with Kotaman about short action, especially since you are looking at 400yds or less. 308 is more than enough at 400 with premium bullets.

I bought my Dad a HC Speed in 6.5 Creedmoor. It is setup for Texas hunting. I have the Xbolt Pro in 300 WSM for Western hunting and AK.

I took the 6.5 out in West Texas on an Auodad hunt. I didn't get to take a shot, but I feel like the weight and capability of the rifle/cartridge was on point.

The 300 went with me this year to AK for caribou. It preformed well and I had not issues with the rifle or cartridge.

I run Hornady Precision Hunter ELD-X out of both rifles.

Spend your money on experience before you spend it on fancy gear.

EmperorMA

WKR
The 28 Nosler is simply not necessary at 400 or less.

The recommendation for a short action is solid advice. Either a 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5 PRC, 7mm-08 Rem, .270 WSM or .308 Win would all work well and have plentiful brass and factory ammo.

If you want to go to the standard long action, then a .270 Win or .30-‘06 are fine.

For me, it would be really hard to look past the 6.5 PRC, with the .270 WSM a close second.

to 400 and quite a bit beyond a 30.06 will do what all the others do, and more - If you want to HUNT that's the place to start and end

Honestly at 400 or less the PRC and 270 WSM are not any more relevant than a 28 Nosler.

Stick to a standard caliber. 6.5 7mm08 308 3006 or 270 will all likely have very similar results at your ranges.

If you want a magnum go ahead and get one but it is not necessary inside 400.

EmperorMA

WKR
Honestly at 400 or less the PRC and 270 WSM are not any more relevant than a 28 Nosler.

Stick to a standard caliber. 6.5 7mm08 308 3006 or 270 will all likely have very similar results at your ranges.

If you want a magnum go ahead and get one but it is not necessary inside 400.
It would be just for me. My hunting is quite similar to to OP. My longest shot ever on a bull was 435 yards.

It is just in my own experience, all of my largest bulls, my longest shots on bulls, and my most dramatic bang/flops on bulls have all been accomplished by 6.5 or .270 cal bullets traveling at a relatively high rate of speed: 6.5x284, .270 Win and .270 Wby Mag. Those 140 -150 grain bullets started at around 3K FPS (a bit faster in the Weatherby) just knock the crap out of elk while being easy on recoil for good accuracy.

Their ballistics also pretty much take out all the guesswork of shooting to 400 yards. Just hold on fur and bring a sharp knife.

It would be just for me. My hunting is quite similar to to OP. My longest shot ever on a bull was 435 yards.

It is just in my own experience, all of my largest bulls, my longest shots on bulls, and my most dramatic bang/flops on bulls have all been accomplished by 6.5 or .270 cal bullets traveling at a relatively high rate of speed: 6.5x284, .270 Win and .270 Wby Mag. Those 140 -150 grain bullets started at around 3K FPS (a bit faster in the Weatherby) just knock the crap out of elk while being easy on recoil for good accuracy.

Their ballistics also pretty much take out all the guesswork of shooting to 400 yards. Just hold on fur and bring a sharp knife.
Hey, it's YOUR rifle so choose what you want BUT you are in a serious minority if you think 6.5's or 270 w/ 140-150's are "optimal" for elk - OPTIMAL elk rounds start at .30 and go up from there - will your "choices" kill elk ? OF COURSE they will but your "bang flops on bulls" numbers I'd guess are lower than a lot of the elk hunters in these parts

OP
Crippledsledge64

Crippledsledge64

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the insight guys, appreciate the feedback. I know it can be a contentious question to ask. Sounds like i'll be looking into the 308 and 30-06 a bit more. I do like flat shooting calibers but sounds like under 400 it shouldn't be an issue unless I break out a 30-30.

charliebravo77

Lil-Rokslider
I went with 7mm-08 in my HCS: https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/browning-x-bolt-hells-canyon-speed.90770/

"For caliber, I wanted something capable of hunting all but the largest (moose/brown bear) of North American game in a short action with great bullet selection and less recoil than .30-06. I shot a friend's Sako A7 Roughtech in 7mm Mag and was blown away by how soft it shot, but I didn't want the heavier rifle to offset the recoil so I was looking at .260 Rem, 6.5 Creedmoor or 7mm-08 Rem. The ballistics of all three are very close, and all are capable of taking pronghorn, deer and elk so rifle availability and bullet/load selection were the main driving factors. The slightly heavier bullets available in 7mm-08 ultimately tipped me in that direction, as I'd like to be able to use this rifle on elk and the heavier the bullet the better. 7mm-08 offers great BCs and SDs with premium hunting bullets such as the Hornady ELD-X, Barnes TSX and others. "

WesternHntr

Lil-Rokslider
Hey, it's YOUR rifle so choose what you want BUT you are in a serious minority if you think 6.5's or 270 w/ 140-150's are "optimal" for elk - OPTIMAL elk rounds start at .30 and go up from there - will your "choices" kill elk ? OF COURSE they will but your "bang flops on bulls" numbers I'd guess are lower than a lot of the elk hunters in these parts
I've personally killed 8 bulls and helped friends kill a bunch as well, all with 6.5's, 7mm's, 243's, and arrows.
I'll have to disagree with the elk rounds starting with a .30 stuff..
Elk are easy to kill if you hit them well, many hunters feel that a bigger bullet will make up for poor shot placement..
While I agree somewhat, the most important thing is stone cold precision.
I do prefer a .300 for shots beyond 800 yards though

It doesn't take a .30+ caliber bullet to produce a bang flop. If the elk needs to be dead where it stands everyone here knows to hit the CNS from the point of the shoulders forward. That really isn't all that demanding on bullet size or velocity.

It doesn't take a .30+ caliber bullet to produce a bang flop. If the elk needs to be dead where it stands everyone here knows to hit the CNS from the point of the shoulders forward. That really isn't all that demanding on bullet size or velocity.
the "400" part is what troubles me, not what you said, it's what others read and choose to ignore about the specific distances - there was already one response quoting "800 yds" TOTALLY different … THAT'S where my ".30" comes from - sorry to make it sound otherwise - I know that trauma kills elk, destruction of internal organs kills elk, hemorrhagic blood loss kills elks, CNS disruption kills elk - and not knowing what a shooter is doing WOUNDS elk - I wandered off topic …… but it is amazing to me how many will read "400" and think farther is the same

Just purchased a HCS in 300WM. Not crazy about the 26” barrel plus brake as far as packing but I don’t do much of that in Mississippi. My first rifle with a brake. About like shooting a 243 (really)! Shooting Barnes Vor TX 165 TTSX @ 3160 FPS. Very accurate. Very Happy! Good Luck with your decision. If you want to stay short action I would recommend 300 WSM.