Sako S20 Reccommendations

hstewk

FNG
Hi all,

I’ve been eyeing the Europtic deals on the s20 hunter for a while. I’m torn with what caliber to go with. I’ve hunted whitetail for a decade with a Remington 30-06 so want something different. I have a 6.5 creedmoor also. My brother in law shoots a 300wsm and swears by it so initially I’m leaning towards the 300mag. I’ve been talked out of the 6.5 prc by gunshops due to short barrel life and ammo shortage. That leaves the 7mag, 308, and 300mag. I know 300mag is a canon for whitetail but interested to know your thoughts.

eric1115

WKR
How many rounds do you shoot per year?

What is the longest shot you need to be able to take on an animal?

What is your current 6.5CM? If you love it, great... But if it's just okay, that S20 in 6.5CM to replace a so-so rifle would be an excellent choice, and plenty of rifle for any North American game for any distance that most hunters have any business shooting (600++ no problem). Pretty good chance it becomes your favorite do all rifle, cheap enough to feed that you get lots of practice with it and high performance enough to do all your hunting with it.

If you are keeping your current 6.5 CM, a 6.5 PRC added to the the mix probably won't get shot enough for barrel life to be a concern. Great hunting cartridge, and much easier to shoot well and spot impacts versus a 7 or .30 magnum of any flavor. However, it doesn't really get you much of anything over the creedmoor with proper bullet selection until you get out past that 600 to 800 yd range (where most people have no business shooting at an animal).

Pwb199

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn’t let the barrel life or ammo availability shy you away from 6.5 prc. Lots of ammo to be bought online. Just shot one yesterday, and brand new out of the box - the s20 in 6.5 prc with hornady ammo was boringly accurate.

OP
H

hstewk

FNG
That’s awesome,
How many rounds do you shoot per year?

What is the longest shot you need to be able to take on an animal?

What is your current 6.5CM? If you love it, great... But if it's just okay, that S20 in 6.5CM to replace a so-so rifle would be an excellent choice, and plenty of rifle for any North American game for any distance that most hunters have any business shooting (600++ no problem). Pretty good chance it becomes your favorite do all rifle, cheap enough to feed that you get lots of practice with it and high performance enough to do all your hunting with it.

If you are keeping your current 6.5 CM, a 6.5 PRC added to the the mix probably won't get shot enough for barrel life to be a concern. Great hunting cartridge, and much easier to shoot well and spot impacts versus a 7 or .30 magnum of any flavor. However, it doesn't really get you much of anything over the creedmoor with proper bullet selection until you get out past that 600 to 800 yd range (where most people have no business shooting at an animal).
6.5 I own now is a Ruger Hawkeye. Great point on the barrel life though I agree with you. I’m taking MAYBE 50 shots a year.

I’m hunting 100-300 yards tops where I’m at so distance shouldn’t be a concern. Wouldn’t a 300mag knock a whitetail down quicker? Dumb question but curious.

eric1115

WKR
That’s awesome,

6.5 I own now is a Ruger Hawkeye. Great point on the barrel life though I agree with you. I’m taking MAYBE 50 shots a year.

I’m hunting 100-300 yards tops where I’m at so distance shouldn’t be a concern. Wouldn’t a 300mag knock a whitetail down quicker? Dumb question but curious.
So at 50 rounds a year, a 6.5PRC probably lasts you 30 years.

Also at 100-300 yards, there is absolutely zero reason to get magnum anything. 6.5CM is more than what is needed for those distances. I don't love the S20 .243 since it has a slow twist barrel that doesn't allow the use of the heavy for caliber bullets that let the smaller bore rifles shine.

Correct bullet selection will do far more for terminal performance than cartridge selection. If I'm looking for fast kills, I would 100% select a 147 ELDM from a 6.5CM over a 180 Accubond from a .300WM.

This is a great (and quick) listen on the topic...

Last edited:

Magma

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a big Sako fan. I haven't shot the S20 but I've handled them at Scheels. I love the ergonomics, and the bolt is about as smooth as the other Sakos I own, thought the bolt design looks a bit cheaper--definitely borrowed some from the Tikka. I'm torn between an S20 in .300 WM or a Seekins in .300 PRC. I wish they'd make the Sako in the PRC.

That’s awesome,

50 shots per year I wouldn’t discount 6.5 PRC but it’s hard to beat the 6.5 Creedmoor or 308.

Shumba

FNG
Do the newer Sako S20 stocks in RoughTech and Camo feel better (more solid) than the original gray plastic stocks?

OP
H

hstewk

FNG
50 shots per year I wouldn’t discount 6.5 PRC but it’s hard to beat the 6.5 Creedmoor or 308.
Convinced myself to go 308 then realized the 6.5 prc and 300win were the only two left in stock on discount at europtic

smithjd

FNG
I picked up an S20 Precision version in 6.5 PRC from the Europtic sale. Mounted a NF 4-16 ATACR on it with NF 1” high rings. Also a 5 slot picatinny rail in the forward MLok slot for a bipod and a Salmon River Solution ARCA rail in front of mag well for my tripod. Cleaned a little carbon out of the bore with a few patches. It’s at 10lb 11oz in that configuration.

Just zerod it this past week with 5 rounds of factory Hornady 143 ELDX. One at 25, up 10 mil to get on paper at 100. Next at 100. 3rd left 0.4 and up 0.2 and inside the 1” square. 4th inside the square to confirm. Set the zero stop and turrets to zero and 5th inside the square. Easy Button! Won’t get to an NRL Hunter match this year, but next time will use this in Factory division.

Next some chrono and load development. Had thought about a break but it’s not necessary as recoil wasn’t bad; and hoping my Scythe-Ti comes as quick as some I’ve been reading about here!

OP
H

hstewk

FNG
I picked up an S20 Precision version in 6.5 PRC from the Europtic sale. Mounted a NF 4-16 ATACR on it with NF 1” high rings. Also a 5 slot picatinny rail in the forward MLok slot for a bipod and a Salmon River Solution ARCA rail in front of mag well for my tripod. Cleaned a little carbon out of the bore with a few patches. It’s at 10lb 11oz in that configuration.

Just zerod it this past week with 5 rounds of factory Hornady 143 ELDX. One at 25, up 10 mil to get on paper at 100. Next at 100. 3rd left 0.4 and up 0.2 and inside the 1” square. 4th inside the square to confirm. Set the zero stop and turrets to zero and 5th inside the square. Easy Button! Won’t get to an NRL Hunter match this year, but next time will use this in Factory division.

Next some chrono and load development. Had thought about a break but it’s not necessary as recoil wasn’t bad; and hoping my Scythe-Ti comes as quick as some I’ve been reading about here!
Nice! Sounds awesome. See with that weight I’m not too concerned about using 300mag with it as a hunting rifle.

I have about 8 S20s in various calibers floating around my immediate friend group, most of which I’ve done the set-ups and scope mounting for. Most have been set-up similarly w/quality rings mounted directly to the integral Picatinny milled-in sections (one of the many things I I love about these rifles), and a Zeiss 3-15x50 or 4-16x50 or similar quality scope. Every one has been amongst the most accurate, smoothest cycling, comfortable off-the-rack rifles I’ve ever shot. By far, THE most accurate and fun to shoot have been the ones in 7mm RM. All have been braked, and different combos of Hunter or Precision stocks. All have been boringly accurate out to 600yd, and effective on steel to 1K. The Finns have been given a hard time about their antiquated twist rates, especially in 7mm - but they’re all becoming the go-to rifle in my little circle of rifle junkies.

I‘ve always had an affinity for the .284 anyhow; great bullet selections/high BCs. After many, many hundreds of rounds thru several of these rifles, I‘m becoming further convinced they’re the best value for $ out there from a performance/$ standpoint, the EuroOptic deals notwithstanding! Though I’ve bought several too, of course. IMHO, wait for a 7mm to come back in stock @ EO, there’s not enough of a performance gain from your 30.06 to a .300WM; the .284 will do almost everything a .30 will do, but a little flatter, often faster, and always sexier!