Christensen Arms Mesa Journey

OXN939

I've been updating a previous thread, but feel it's an appropriate time for this to get its own.

Purchased a CA Mesa in .308 a few months ago for a mid-long range hunting rig. It's a great rifle in a lot of ways- fit and finish was nice, Triggertech trigger was great, stock was comfortable and aesthetically pleasing. Assembled everything to recommended torque settings and with blue Loctite, checked alignment and lapped rings, and threw a Vortex Viper 4-16x44 on there. Good looking setup.

Screen Shot 2019-09-06 at 7.56.30 PM.png

02 SEP- First range day. Try three different kinds of factory ammo. Abysmal groups, from 2.5-5 MOA. Go back home, take everything apart, re-check alignment, reassemble.

05 SEP- Second range day. Same groups, shown below. Verify scope on another rifle; shoots MOA groups on rifle #2. Submitted the following pictures to CA with a repair inquiry.

Screen Shot 2019-09-05 at 8.02.27 PM.png

06 SEP- Waited til the end of the day, called Christensen Arms. The gentleman I spoke to was very nice, found my repair inquiry. Said to send it in. Check. Everything off, shipped back to them.

19 SEP- No comms from CA after they've had it for a few weeks. Decided to call and check in, since I have a tag I wanted to use it to hunt in October. Same gentleman I spoke to initially checked on it for me. Said they found the same poor accuracy I did, so they were going to rebarrel it, cerakote it and get it back to me. I asked how long this would take; he said it should be headed my way in a few days, definitely in time for my October hunt. Cool.

30 SEP- No comms from CA. Called to check in. "It's been rebarreled; still needs to be cerakoted. Should be headed your way tomorrow at the latest." Hmm. That's not what was discussed. Good thing I prepped a backup.

09 OCT- Still no comms. Leave tomorrow for WY. Guess I'll call when I get back if it's not here by then.

To be continued.

X-file

Thank you for sharing. I would be extremely frustrated too. I have gone back and forth with getting a CA several times due to similar stories I’ve read and ended up with a Bergara. Couldn’t be happier with my decision

Good thing you have a backup plan and good luck with the hunt

Here’s to hoping your backup gets the job done so that you can send the pic to CA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dvidos

Thank you for sharing. I would be extremely frustrated too. I have gone back and forth with getting a CA several times due to similar stories I’ve read and ended up with a Bergara. Couldn’t be happier with my decision

Good thing you have a backup plan and good luck with the hunt

Here’s to hoping your backup gets the job done so that you can send the pic to CA

+1

Downeaster

Frustrating. I'd say a large portion of us on here have more than a few options for hunting guns, what if on the other hand you were a new shooter and saved up a bunch of money for your first rifle for a big hunt? What a crock, terribly disappointing.

Silvereagle50

Hate that you don’t get to use the new gun. Would be very frustrated as well.
But no way would I expect to send a gun in to a manufacturer that late and expect it back in time. (And trust me I don’t say that against you, more like don’t trust them)
Unless I was given word that someone would get it walked through the process immediately, I wouldn’t think there was anyway I’d get it back in time. And still wouldn’t count on it then.

Secondly I hate to hear this because a CA was possibly next on my list.

coop22250

This isn’t the first I’ve heard having this problem. As with any growing company I think they are having growing pains trying to keep up with demand. Hopefully they slow down, people would rather wait a month or 2 for a rifle than wait a month or 2 for repairs.

I have yet to be begin to procrastinate.

Cahunter805

Good luck on your Hunt! Hopefully they can get it right this time. While any manufacturer can have a lemon It’s more important to me how they handle the situation as a whole than the actual repair. Communication is key IMO and many companies now a days are terrible at it.

OP
OXN939

OXN939

Fresh update. Got a return shipping label, which is the first communication I've received from Christensen Arms without actually calling them... my rifle is estimated to be back by October 18th (42 days after I sent it to them, for those keeping score at home). To be clear, I agree that purchasing a rifle in August for an October hunt is a tight timeline. This is why I had a backup ready. However, when they say in late September that it should be "just a few days" and you don't get the rifle back until almost a month later, I think you have a right to be disappointed.

The very least they could have done would be to send it by some means other than the cheapest, slowest way possible. If I owned the company and were weeks behind schedule for a repair, I'd overnight it back to the customer. But that's just me.