Christensen Arms?

paddlehead

Lil-Rokslider
I have a chance to get a Christensen Arms 300 Win Mag. I do not know anyone personally that owns one. Does anyone here have any experience with them? Good? Bad? Indifferent?

I have a 30-378 Weatherby, but it weighs a freaking ton. Would this be a worthy replacement?

Please let me know what you guys think!

Thanks in advance.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I've owned three. Some shoot, some don't! If your buying it used find out what kind of groups it's shooting and with what bullets.

Broz

WKR
I have to have seen some shoot and some not. I also set one up that would shoot one day and not the next. Thought it was me so we put a new shooter behind it and got similar results. I think it was related to a very temp sensitive barrel. I now have chosen to stay away from them personally. But I concur with Ryan, shoot it first.

Jeff

Mtnboy

WKR
I know people who have owned them and have got similar results to what Ryan and Broz had.

(Edited to not start a bunch of unnecessary drama)

Last edited:
OP
paddlehead

paddlehead

Lil-Rokslider
I talked to the guy quite a bit. Its a Sendero tat was sent down and had a barrel put on it. He said it shoots 1/2" groups with good factory ammo at a hundred and 3/4" groups with cheap ammo. Best group at 300 was 3/4" and worst 2".

I like the idea of it on a Sendero frame.

I have heard that Christensen's are either good, or junk, but still don't know anyone personally with one.

If it shoots that good I just wonder why he is selling it....

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I don't wanna start a bunch of drama...but hasn't the Christensen family and some employees been involved in a few poaching incidents over the years?

I wouldn't do business with them.

More to the OPs point, I know people who have owned them and have got similar results to what Ryan and Broz had.

I have family ties with Christensen Arms. As far as the poaching goes John Mogle was convicted of poaching and no longer works for CArms.

As for the guns I've had two that shot really well and one that did not. One thing to consider is they are very light for extreme long range work. I don't know what your plans are but if its a mountain gun that can shoot well to 800 yards and this particular rifle shoots well, you shouldn't have a problem.

OP
paddlehead

paddlehead

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the feedback. I think I am just going pass, and build a long range from the ground up. Maybe put a carbon barrel on down the road. I don't want an extreme long range gun. 1000 yards is far enough for me. My big gun can do that +.

A mountain gun that shoots a grand should be more than proficient.

Thanks again for the input. I'm the biggest skeptic with tings, especially used things.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the feedback. I think I am just going pass, and build a long range from the ground up. Maybe put a carbon barrel on down the road. I don't want an extreme long range gun. 1000 yards is far enough for me. My big gun can do that +.

A mountain gun that shoots a grand should be more than proficient.

Thanks again for the input. I'm the biggest skeptic with tings, especially used things.

I have had one and would never have one again. It was really disappointing.

Randy

idig4au

WKR
I have a Christensen Arms. I had a custom one built about 5 or 6 years ago. I had them build me up a 30-378 on a Weatherby Mark V action, lightweight stock and a 28 inch match grade barrel. This was before my days of being more informed on the custom builds and doing some research. I got caught up in the fad at the time.

When I received it, I noticed it wouldn't eject the shells very well. The ejector spring wasn't correct. I took it to a local gunsmith who has experience working on the Mark V actions. He took the action apart, and it was full of rust. Remember, this was a $4k+ custom.....

I called up J. Mongle and company and read them the riot act on this. They promptly had me return it back to their factory and they sorted it all out in a quick turn around. They denied there was ever rust inside the bolt. But they did sort it all out.

At any rate, my build from them does indeed shoot and shoot very well. I'm typically at 0.5" MOA with it with factory, so I can't complain. I got lucky with mine. I have a lot of confidence in this rifle and its taken many critters over the past few years without fail. I feel like there is not a shot I can't make with this rifle.

That said, I just had a purpose built mountain/backpack rifle built up in 300 WSM, and it wasn't by CA.....

Be aware if you buy it....you either love CA rifles or you hate them. You don't see many people selling 0.5" MOA rifles so if its a used CA, it could be one of those that groups like a shotgun!

goatboy

Lil-Rokslider
From what ive read/seen/shot the ones with match barrels shoot and the ones with factory barrels not so much.