Christenson Mesa... heavy-hard bold lift after firing round

4ester

WKR
So I’m guessing that CA Quality Control is a bit lacking. Also assuming they are not test firing their products before sending them out either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
So I’m guessing that CA Quality Control is a bit lacking. Also assuming they are not test firing their products before sending them out either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It certainly doesn't bode well for them that there are 3 threads on CA quality issues on the first page of this sub-forum alone.

Viper

FNG
Crap! I just bought a Ridgeline 6.5 PRC. I am doing the break in tomorrow. I pray it goes well. I did chamber/eject a round smoothly, but left scratches on the casing. Is this normal for a new rifle?

Crap! I just bought a Ridgeline 6.5 PRC. I am doing the break in tomorrow. I pray it goes well. I did chamber/eject a round smoothly, but left scratches on the casing. Is this normal for a new rifle?

My Ruger 77 Hawkeye 6.5 Creed chewed it up pretty good. My New Nosler rifle makes it look like it's been in a fight with a wildcat. My Mesa isn't bad. My Reemington 700 5R HS isn't bad. My Savages have never scratched brass.

SDHNTR

WKR
No! Especially if single loading. A chamber should not scratch brass, ever. Sometimes a magazine will scratch brass when it’s crammed completely full. The lips of the mag can scratch brass on the top round in the mag. Not a big deal imo, but a chamber should never scratch brass!

Elkhntr08

WKR
Here's the fired brass that's in the worst shape. I've had primers fall out of twice in similar condition.
I’ve had the same thing happen with a 300 Weatherby.
Handloads, not close to max and Hornady brass. Same load with Weatherby or Nosler brass, no issues.

Viper

FNG
"Crap! I just bought a Ridgeline 6.5 PRC. I am doing the break in tomorrow. I pray it goes well. I did chamber/eject a round smoothly, but left scratches on the casing. Is this normal for a new rifle? "

The break in went well. After cycling a few rounds, there were no more scratches on the brass. Musta been some burs that got worn down. Hornady ELDx ammo cycled well, shot well and it got easier to clean. Break in complete.

woods89

WKR
I have a buddy that just shot on a hot day with a Traverse 300 Win. Mag. He had sticky bolt lift and ejector swipe on his cases. He's also running about 100 fps faster than the velocity on the box of the Berger match ammo he's shooting. He's just going to try to keep his ammo cool and avoid shooting on hot days.

I asked a gunsmith who has built a rifle for me about it and he said Christenson is known for running tight on their chambers. For whatever that's worth......

This same rifle had a pretty mediocre bedding job that he had redone, which improved his accuracy a fair bit.

At this point I personally would pass on a Christenson........

I got it back this morning. They replaced the bolt with a "new and updated bolt." They sent a nice note thanking me for being a customer and a hat as well. The turn around time was very quick.

It may be a while before I get to warm the barrel up again. The factory ammo gave me a 3 shot group of about .6 inches, so I know it'll be a shooter. I don't have any powder that is ideal for it, and getting a good powder may be difficult for a while.

Provided it functions as designed, they get an A+ on handling the issue.

farmer14

Lil-Rokslider
I have the SAME thing going on with my CA Mesa 300 win mag and I reload. I thoroughly described this to Christensen Arms CS and they told me to loosen the ejector pins on the bolt and that it was a non issue. I’ve called multiple times about it and they’ve never offered for me to send it in. I’m over them. The rifle shoots well but I am in the market for another and I won’t be going with their line ever again.

I have the SAME thing going on with my CA Mesa 300 win mag and I reload. I thoroughly described this to Christensen Arms CS and they told me to loosen the ejector pins on the bolt and that it was a non issue. I’ve called multiple times about it and they’ve never offered for me to send it in. I’m over them. The rifle shoots well but I am in the market for another and I won’t be going with their line ever again.

Just to be clear, mine went back in for failure to eject.

I received my 300 PRC back from Christensen yesterday. Very quick turn around.

I'm really disappointed in their communication. They sent a sheet with the gun saying that they inspected it, cleaned it, shot it and could find no issues. When i sent it in, I asked if i should send pictures or the actual spent brass, and they said no. I didn't receive a follow up call before they sent it back. I'm having a really hard time believing there is nothing wrong with the gun after having so many overpressure issues on different boxes and bullet types.

muleymemories

Lil-Rokslider
Had the same issue going on with my new Mesa. Scrubbed the chamber really good with bore solvent and lubed the lugs on the bolt and all good to go! Now just need to find a round that it likes.

Cfranski

FNG
Glad I found this. Was going to pick up a mesa but probably will go with another brand