Cimarron Stakeout

Lukeyn

Lil-Rokslider
Just bought a Cimarron for a solo hunt next year. Wondering if any of you guys use a thin piece of rope and the Pythagoras theorem to set your stakes initially? Making 3 sections of specifed lengths. Similar to setting framing stakes for buildings.

bebd43f5f56b5fc4c481ac0f7f613816.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

ChrisC

Lil-Rokslider
I just got one for christmas so i dont have a ton of experience, but i dont think you need to start using Pythagorean theorem. The tension of the fabric and a quick visual look should be a good indication of where the stakes should go. You can always make adjustments once the centerfold is up anyway.

OP
Lukeyn

Lukeyn

Lil-Rokslider
I tried this in wind yesterday with frozen ground and it was a little bit of pain adjusting the stakes. One and done method seems like it would be easier.

ianpadron

WKR
Pitch it as a perfect square first, then the ends with guyouts to make it a hexagon. Then the door flaps. Perfect pitch everytime ;)

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

colonel00

WKR
If using the stake loops that come on the tent, the above advice is pretty sound. It's pretty square if you find the four points that are not the doors or the end points. Once those are set, you can put in the pole and then stake out the rest.

All that said, I'd highly recommend that you look at getting extensions for the stake loops with tensionsers so you can pitch it up off the ground if you want and it makes even tight pitching easier.

OP
Lukeyn

Lukeyn

Lil-Rokslider
I used the stake loops, but it seemed like I was about to get a few more inches in height after playing around with the locationz.

Graves14

WKR
Id add some 12-18" guy outs with line locks to all the tie out loops. That way you get it close with the square method above, then fine tune it tensioning the line locks. It also allows you to pitch it off the ground a bit gaining usable space and increasing airflow if desired. Somewhere Luke Moffat has a great post about this but here is a pic of mine

6DCF231A-81E7-403A-9412-FAECC3B589E7_zpsi3raxoqe.jpg

DaveC

WKR
If using the stake loops that come on the tent, the above advice is pretty sound. It's pretty square if you find the four points that are not the doors or the end points. Once those are set, you can put in the pole and then stake out the rest.

All that said, I'd highly recommend that you look at getting extensions for the stake loops with tensionsers so you can pitch it up off the ground if you want and it makes even tight pitching easier.

What he said. If the Cimarron isn't among the quickest to setup shelters you're overthinking.

OP
Lukeyn

Lukeyn

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe I am overthinking it. I'm 5'7" and had hoped I could stand up in it based on the specs on the website. I need it guyed all the way down to keep heat in and it wasn't working.

colonel00

WKR
I don't know that it will keep much heat in any way you pitch it.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

OP
Lukeyn

Lukeyn

Lil-Rokslider
Colonel figured keeping out the draft would keep it somewhat "warmer" I guess

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Colonel figured keeping out the draft would keep it somewhat "warmer" I guess

Try stuffing your extra gear (pack, food, puffy gear) and such on the windward side of the shelter when pitching a few inches elevated off the ground. This will eliminate some of the draft while still allowing for good airflow to help mitigate condensation. Silnylon isn't sealing in any heat really. More so it contains it enough while being out of the wind to appreciate it. As soon as that stove goes out it will get back to just slightly warmer than ambient air temps (sans wind chill of course) in the shelter.

As far as pitching goes I pitch mine the same way I having being pitching my other pyramid style shelters since 2010. Stake out the 4 corners, put up the center pole then finish staking out the rest. Adjustable guylines are a must IMO, not only to allow to pitch the shelter a couple inches elevated to improve space and mitigate condensation but also allows for more options in case a rock is right where one of the stake loops are. With 12" of adjustable guy line on each stake loop it allows for quite a radius to find a place to stab a stake in in the event you aren't staking your shelter on the 18th hole at pebble beach and run into a rock or root or two while pitching your tent.

Here are a few pics of mine setup the past two years.

Along the 2017 Alaska Rokslide Packraft Rondy scouting trip with 2 glaciers in the background:

Some more from another 60+ mile thru hike:

OP
Lukeyn

Lukeyn

Lil-Rokslider
U ever use tyvek for your floor with stove for the winter? I went with this style vs. Actual tent because of the stove option to hopefully dry my gear if needed. And nothing beats a warm fire when you get out of that sleeping bag in the morning.

colonel00

WKR
I've used Tyvek. Works pretty good as a ground sheet if you need one.

OP
Lukeyn

Lukeyn

Lil-Rokslider
Colonel, where did you source the tyvek? I have a couple buddies in construction, but they might be critics if I ask them for a piece for my "tipi" lol.

colonel00

WKR
I got mine from a got in here that had a bunch. I think someone was selling it by the foot not too long ago. Still though, all your buddies. It would be free and easy

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Buddy for tyvek reminds me of a funny one: My buddy had a roll so I said to for him to bring ground cloths, he said how big and I said how about a 30" strip, he asked if that was big enough and I said make it 36"? That was where we left off till setting up camp, he brought ONE 36" wide strip, lol. We now jokingly refer to such miscommunications as "tyvek moments".

OP
Lukeyn

Lukeyn

Lil-Rokslider
He wanted to stay warmer in the mountains