Clarification on CO preference points

aboss014

FNG
So I was listening to the Finding Backcountry podcast #23 and Matt Howell brought something to my attention that maybe others don't know as well but I need some clarification if anyone knows...

Matt stated that if you held a hunting or fishing license from the previous year, Colorado will not charge you for the next year's preference points. But, what hunting and fishing license applies to this? I didn't hunt or fish in Colorado last year but we are still able to purchase the 2017 small game and fishing license until the end of march for $56. This beats paying $40 for each preference point...

What I'm really wondering is if a 1-day, 5-day fishing or small game license will work as well. That's even cheaper...

Here is what I found which is not specific enough for my question:
"COST OF A PREFERENCE POINT ONLY IS $40.00 PER SPECIES. Colorado does not charge for the preference point if you held certain hunting or fishing licenses from Colorado the previous year, or a license for the same species for which you are seeking the point in the current year. The full cost of a license will be charged to your credit card when you apply for the preference point and a refund check (less the $40.00 if applicable) will be mailed after the draw (around July 1st). A $10 habitat stamp (1) and $3 application fee will also be charged and are not refundable."