Classified Etiquette

Greetings,

New to the site, was just wondering if anyone had any advice for submitting an offer on items in the classified forum? Noticed a couple items but wasn’t sure if there was a way to check to see if the item(s) are still available? Thanks in advance

wyogoat

WKR
PM the seller and check. Most people respond pretty quick. Don’t be one of those that makes a lowball offer publicly…
Looks like you’ll need a few more posts to be classified approved so find some thread to contribute to and share your knowledge.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Use PMs. Until you have PM privileges, attempts to use the classifieds will likely result in a ban. I think you need 10 posts, and a week of membership. Or you can pay $50 to have access immediately.

The rule is to cut down on scammers, and it works.

Trying to post pad with something like 10 replies to your own thread will also result in a ban. So read, make some informed comments based on your experience, and in a week you will be good. If you are new to hunting and don't want to show ignorance in comments, find a thread with memes, or scroll through the General Discussion board and find a topic you know something about.

Related - what's the most secure way to send money - in terms of process and payment processor?

wyogoat

WKR
Seems like most people prefer PayPal F and F on here, which I disagree with but it’s the norm for this site. The G and S provides a little more security to the buyer and some want the fees paid by the buyer or some absorb those fees. Depends on the seller. Venmo is a pretty good option also so ask what they accept.
Just check the sellers history and feedback if you’re worried and politely communicate concerns. This is a great site with great people and the classifieds section is one of the best around.

Last edited:
Use PMs. Until you have PM privileges, attempts to use the classifieds will likely result in a ban. I think you need 10 posts, and a week of membership. Or you can pay $50 to have access immediately.

The rule is to cut down on scammers, and it works.

Trying to post pad with something like 10 replies to your own thread will also result in a ban. So read, make some informed comments based on your experience, and in a week you will be good. If you are new to hunting and don't want to show ignorance in comments, find a thread with memes, or scroll through the General Discussion board and find a topic you know something about.
There’s currently several non-hunting threads to peruse:
  • Bourbon thread
  • Valentines Day thread
  • Vasectomy thread
I think I see a pattern here, or at least an order of concern…
Does bourbon enter the picture before Valentines Day, or the other way around? Or after vasectomy?

Based on prior experiences I’ll never pay with any other method than PayPal g&s unless I literally know the person.

7mm-08

WKR
PLEASE use PM's. I frequently see new guys on the forum send a reply to a seller asking if an item that was advertized in 2022 is still available. That's just not useful to the guys (like me) who review the classifieds every day or so. Leave feedback (as a buyer or seller) and remember there are several components to a sale - the price of the item, the method of payment and shipping, which should all be addressed in negotiations to avoid people getting their feelings or wallets hurt. Welcome!

7mm-08

WKR
Related - what's the most secure way to send money - in terms of process and payment processor?
The most secure way to send money is PayPal G & S. Having said that, guys that have been on the site and have a good number of positive feedbacks, generally deal with PayPal F & F. I've never had a bad experience on Rokslide buying and selling over a number of years. I attribute this to proactive moderators who dump dishonest folks and other shitbags FAST.

bozeman

WKR
This has worked for me: use PayPal G&S, once you receive the product. Use F&F to send them the fee they were charged for the G&S. You get protection til you get the product and then they get the fee back and not lose that $.

dsotm

Lil-Rokslider
Another bit of etiquette that’s not directly related to your post but applies to the title, if someone leaves feedback for you take the 4 seconds it takes to leave feedback for them.
Definitely frustrating when you take the time and they don't reciprocate. Especially when you are just starting out here.

Drenalin

WKR
There’s currently several non-hunting threads to peruse:
  • Bourbon thread
  • Valentines Day thread
  • Vasectomy thread
I think I see a pattern here, or at least an order of concern…
Does bourbon enter the picture before Valentines Day, or the other way around? Or after vasectomy?
Bourbon always - before, during, and after all of the above.

11boo

WKR
Understand the ten post rule for scammers but it definitely delays many people from using the classified's.
It a good rule and works. This is a hunting forum first and foremost .
Policing an Equipment exchange has got to be a pain in the ass for volunteer mods.
Far too many have opened an account and their first post is a scam ad.

ccoffey

Lil-Rokslider
Had a guy recently that didn’t have any feedback ratings. Verified him with someone else he bought an item from and FaceTimed him to verify that he and the item was real. Make sure you give people feedback when selling and buying.