Clay bird thrower

Mosby

WKR
I am looking to buy a new clay bird thrower. I am choosing between the Champion Wheelybird 2.0 and the Champion Easybird.

The Wheelybird 2.0 weighs less, has a remote and has wheels to move around. Most of the time I will be shooting by myself so these are features which are nice to have. Clearly made for personal use.

The Easybird is essentially a copy of an Atlas. No wheels or remote but it is a heavier duty machine.

I tend to go more on the heavy duty side but as I get older I must face the reality that weight, wheels and a remote would make it easier to use and shoot by myself. Not everything has to be made like a tank to work.

The price difference is not enough to buy one over the other. I understand that Atlas makes a better unit but it isn't in the budget and I need to stay under $400. I looked at the Do All brand but there are too many bad reviews to consider them at this point. I know that a lot of guys have shot thousands of rounds through theirs but I would be the guy that got the one that doesn't work.

Has anyone used either or both of the Champion machines? Any specific recommendation of one over the other? Thanks in advance.

Lvthntitall

Lil-Rokslider
I just bought a second wheelybird not the 2, I have had really good luck with the first one and with 2 boys that love to shoot the second one will allow them to shoot doubles, if you are shooting by yourself I don’t know that you need the remote, unless you want to get along way away from the thrower, the foot petal works great for shooting alone and I would probably end up loosing the remote. The wheels do make them easier to move around. Just my 2 cents worth

OP
Mosby

Mosby

WKR
I just bought a second wheelybird not the 2, I have had really good luck with the first one and with 2 boys that love to shoot the second one will allow them to shoot doubles, if you are shooting by yourself I don’t know that you need the remote, unless you want to get along way away from the thrower, the foot petal works great for shooting alone and I would probably end up loosing the remote. The wheels do make them easier to move around. Just my 2 cents worth
My initial intent was to buy the original wheelybird on sale but they are sold out so I moved on to looking at the 2.0. I noticed the Easybird is within $50 of the 2.0 and I decided to compare the two. Any of them will work for what I am going to do but thought I would see if one is a better bang for the buck. The Easybird weighs twice as much and no wheels so I am leaning towards getting something with wheels.

OP
Mosby

Mosby

WKR
I bought the Wheelybird 2.0 this afternoon. Rogers Sporting goods had them for $349.99 and they only have a couple left in store. I will be using it a lot by myself and decided it will be a lot easier for this old guy to move around with the wheels and less weight.

adamkolesar

Lil-Rokslider
Wheely bird for sure. Also lugging the car battery to consider. I wear the remote around my neck, hit the button, mount and shoot. The remote also allows you to set up the machine for crossing shots. (Again the wheels are handy for dragging the thing to your select location). Been using mine for 3 seasons now without a hitch.

OP
Mosby

Mosby

WKR
Wheely bird for sure. Also lugging the car battery to consider. I wear the remote around my neck, hit the button, mount and shoot. The remote also allows you to set up the machine for crossing shots. (Again the wheels are handy for dragging the thing to your select location). Been using mine for 3 seasons now without a hitch.
I am big on neck lanyards too. Otherwise too easy to set it down or drop it. Picking up a deep cycle battery is next.

adamkolesar

Lil-Rokslider
I am big on neck lanyards too. Otherwise too easy to set it down or drop it. Picking up a deep cycle battery is next.
The deep cycle isn't really necessary (unless you're throwing many 100's of clays at a session). I've been using my decomissioned Jeep battery all along. I just hit the battery with a quick charge before shooting, and I'm good to go.

I use my wheely bird off of a jumper pack. Several of us shooting and it holds up fine. Then just plug I to the wall and recharge. Plus I always need a jump pq k more than an extra battery sitting around.

Just bought the wheelybird 2.0 this year only used the foot pedal so far but i love it highly recommend it