Colorado Spring Turkey

Hey All,

It's a long shot, but I was wondering if someone would give me some advice on spring turkey hunting out here in CO. I understand the front range is a zoo, so last year I went scouting and went hunting for the first time a little north from Canon City. Hiked for about 15 miles and never saw a bird both days, even after researching areas on the CPW atlas. All I saw was just a hen crossing a road unfortunately when I was driving home. Still relatively new to this and doing as much research, but will take any pointers and maybe through PMs can chat through what areas you would or wouldn't bother checking out, or if my scouting/research is in the right track.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Man there are 30,000 ish turkeys in Co and 120,000 Turkey hunters. Math is easy, Turkeys on public are super hard to find, and super mobile, if you have them pinned down you better not tell a soul! I would say a draw tag has better populations of birds but good luck man! We all need it during spring

dtrkyman

WKR
I was shocked at the shit show I witnessed in CO. on opening weekend two years ago, I hunt turkeys all over the country and could not the believe the ignorance and pressure.

That said I have killed a bird there every year, two late season and one the second day last year.

Follow the melting snow, look for oak brush and even elk, they seem to be in the same areas often.

I will likely be out for the opener as I think I found an area far enough in to avoid folks, last year snow kept the e bikes out, probably not going to be enough snow this year?

I can’t say I’ve ever seen another turkey hunter in Colorado. I also don’t hunt anywhere near the front range.

I saw about 40 turkeys this morning, almost hit one on my way into town. It was a young Jake running along the road.

dtrkyman

WKR
Colorado has been a chit show where I hunt, was shocked by the pressure. Looks like the snow melted off, hopefully it is that way where I am headed!

Pow

FNG
To me, the biggest thing about finding turkeys consistently (or elk for that matter) is close proximity to running water. Sure, they'll wander off away from running water, but most likely to see them near it.

dtrkyman

WKR
I did a scout last week, I normally just wing it but have a friend traveling a long way to hunt so I wanted to check some places. Ran into some illegal shed hunters of course, always knew there was I reason I never saw a she in there despite the hundreds of deer and elk.

Turkeys were in different locations and not as many as I found last year but did manage to find a couple flocks. Lots of snow too.

Good luck, Saturday will be a shit show at many places, hopefully I have found an off beat spot?

Hnthrdr

WKR
I did a scout last week, I normally just wing it but have a friend traveling a long way to hunt so I wanted to check some places. Ran into some illegal shed hunters of course, always knew there was I reason I never saw a she in there despite the hundreds of deer and elk.

Turkeys were in different locations and not as many as I found last year but did manage to find a couple flocks. Lots of snow too.

Good luck, Saturday will be a shit show at many places, hopefully I have found an off beat spot?
Yeah I always find boot tracks these days instead of sheds… whatever. They should just make the start date coincide with the Turkey opener… should be interesting, where I’m headed still has about 30” of snow so might have to look in some new spots this weekend… might have my toddler on my back so we will see how that goes haha

crowlja

FNG
Good luck! I've gotten into a few birds here and there, but haven't sealed the deal yet. Unfortunately I don't have an open weekend until late May. Hopefully I can find them...have even had time to really scout yet.