Clean brass first or resize first?

SDHNTR

WKR
Seems most guys clean first and then resize their brass. But then how do you get the primer out? I use decapping pin dies. Don’t you want the primer out first so the pocket gets cleaned? Which means then you have sized first?

Or say I do de-prime/re-size first and then clean. That takes all the lube out of the neck. Don’t I want some in there for ease of bullet seating and to prevent bullet seize/cold weld?

I use an ultrasonic cleaner.

Curious to hear others’ process.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I resize then clean. Seemed like the obvious sequence when I first started reloading. Never seen a reason to change from that way.

tdot

WKR
Deprime, clean, resize.

You can use a separate depriming die, this keeps the carbon and crap out of your resizing dies which can either scratch the brass or even the die, it can also lead to stuck cases.

HiMtnHntr

WKR
Tumble, resize/trim/chamfer/debur, etc... tumble again - sometimes a trip in the ultrasonic if i want it real clean.

Tumbling is 100% not necessary, but I like getting the crud off before prepping and after.

I use a universal decapping die to punch the primer. Then clean, then resize. I don't want dirty brass in my resizing die.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Those who don’t want “dirty” brass in your sizing die, do you not use lube during the resizing process?

Those who don’t want “dirty” brass in your sizing die, do you not use lube during the resizing process?

Sure I do. But before I recognized the importance of cleaning brass first I ended up with stuck cases and scratched brass from dirt, etc. Havent had an issue since I started cleaning brass before sizing. To each their own though...

N2TRKYS

WKR
Sure I do. But before I recognized the importance of cleaning brass first I ended up with stuck cases and scratched brass from dirt, etc. Havent had an issue since I started cleaning brass before sizing. To each their own though...

If I was scratching and sticking cases, I would change what I was doing too. Luckily, I haven’t had that problem.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
So are those universal de capping dies good for all calibers and cartridges? Hence the term universal?

I use the Frankford arsenal hand depriming tool, then ultra sonic clean them, anneal, resize, ultra sonic clean again. I usually deprime 200-300 cases at a time and don’t have an issue with the hand deprimer. Quick and easy.

Pain in the rear to clean twice but I use spray lube to resize and don’t like the idea of leaving any of that lube on the case or even worse in it. I’ve tried the other methods of lubing cases and overall liked spraying them the best.

tdot

WKR
So are those universal de capping dies good for all calibers and cartridges? Hence the term universal?

They'll do most typical hunting cartridges, sometimes they'll not work on longer cases, or 50BMG, etc.

I use the Mighty Armoury decapping die.

Lawnboi

WKR
I’m the farthest thing from a reloading expert. But I clean my brass prior to resizing. Probably wouldn’t have to if I shot, gently grabbed my brass as I extracted it, and placed it back in the box. But 90% of my brass gets flung in the dirt.

16Bore

WKR
Denatured alcohol to clean the lube off before priming, powder, and bullet.