Cleaning your Muzzleloader

Novashooter

Lil-Rokslider
How I clean muzzleloaders depends on what they are, and what I was shooting.

Most of what I shoot today is sidelock and flintlock guns, and I don't hardly shoot any Pyrodex or 777. I sold the rest of my BH209. Blackpowder is the easiest to clean. There's not really a wrong way to do it, even spit on patches can work. I've played around with hot water, warm water, cold water, alcohol, windex, you name it. Today I keep it simple, I just use water. Not hot, just whatever comes from the faucet, or in the field, whatever is in the jug or wherever. No soap or anything. Some of my guns I can easily take off the barrel, and if so I'll do that, pull the nipple, and pump water through them with a patch. If not, such a pinned barrel flintlock, I pull the lock, flip it upside down, then run wet patches through it until clean enough. I like them sopping wet, and I'll even pour some water down the barrel. A good trick is to put a small stick like a toothpick in the touch hole or nipple, fill the barrel a ways, then let it sit a few minutes. Then plug the muzzle with your thumb, slosh it a bit, and pour it out. Flush with some clean water. That's 95% clean right there. the rest is already wet and cleans easily. I like to use a pipe cleaner for the touch hole. If I'm at home, I'll blow them out with compressed air, then run dry patches. If not at home, I just run dry patches. I then like to let them air dry, ideally in the sun or by some heat for a while. I finish by oiling the bore. The lock I wipe off with a damp cloth, then dry. I oil lightly, but try to keep the pan dry. On percussion guns I use a small screwdriver with a patch into the hammer face to clean that out. Inline guns can vary widely, but in general I always pull the breech plug. I clean that with a drill bit for the flash channel, and a tooth brush for the rest. I use a toothbrush for the threads in the barrel. If I can get the barrel in water, I will, otherwise wet patches are fine. I try my best to keep gunk out of the action, but it can be tricky. I often stuff paper towel in there to catch it. I rarely pull barrels from inline guns since it's too much effort. Something like a TC Encore I might.

That is my general day to day cleaning. I sometimes do a deeper cleaning as needed. I'll run a brass bore brush, and certain guns like TC's that have a dished breech plug I like to run a smaller brush down and twist it to clean that dish out. I'll run a pipe cleaner through the channel of a percussion side lock. I'll also more thoroughly clean the lock of both percussion and flintlocks. I'll pull the firing pin and triggers from inlines.

I forgot to say the reason I don't like hot water. It does work even better, and would be the fastest method, but if you don't do it right, you get flash rusting. If you have a barrel in hot water, clean it, then dry it, it will be rusty in 5 minutes. It must be oiled as soon as you think it can be, probably in 30 seconds to one minute. Room temp water work a little slower, but it's not that huge of a difference. In humid Florida it might be different, but you can leave a barrel cleaned in cool water dry and even an hour later it probably won't have rust on it. It dries slower, too, but I find it dries just fast enough that I only finish doing the rest of what is needed.

Last edited:

Antares

WKR
Hey guys - I'm new to MZ and looking for help figuring out a simple, between shot swabbing routine at the range.

I'm shooting a .50 cal CVA Accura MR-X w/ 2 pellets of White Hots and 290gr Bore Drivers.

What should I be doing between shots? One wet patch and one dry patch? Alcohol, Windex, 50/50 blend of the two? Do you just swab from the muzzle or do you pull the breach plug too?

After the range, I'm doing hot soapy water with a brush and then an oiled patch after it's dried.

For context, I'm testing for my certificate in October and November will be my first MZ season.

Thanks for your help!

ENCORE

WKR
Hey guys - I'm new to MZ and looking for help figuring out a simple, between shot swabbing routine at the range.

I'm shooting a .50 cal CVA Accura MR-X w/ 2 pellets of White Hots and 290gr Bore Drivers.

What should I be doing between shots? One wet patch and one dry patch? Alcohol, Windex, 50/50 blend of the two? Do you just swab from the muzzle or do you pull the breach plug too?

After the range, I'm doing hot soapy water with a brush and then an oiled patch after it's dried.

For context, I'm testing for my certificate in October and November will be my first MZ season.

Thanks for your help!
If it were me, I would be using Butch's Black Powder Bore Shine. I'd use that with all substitutes EXCEPT FOR BH209.
Especially using pellets. Slightly damp patch (slightly damp) between rounds, followed by a dry patch if you prefer. Clean with it using wet patches. Dry and lubricate.
Water is the enemy of muzzleloaders ;)

Antares

WKR
If it were me, I would be using Butch's Black Powder Bore Shine. I'd use that with all substitutes EXCEPT FOR BH209.
Especially using pellets. Slightly damp patch (slightly damp) between rounds, followed by a dry patch if you prefer. Clean with it using wet patches. Dry and lubricate.
Water is the enemy of muzzleloaders ;)

Pulling the breach plug or just swabbing from the muzzle?

Also, appreciate the recommendation for bore shine, but I'm just trying to stick with readily available products because I'm in rural Alaska and people get weird about shipping solvents. Thanks!

ENCORE

WKR
Pulling the breach plug or just swabbing from the muzzle?

Also, appreciate the recommendation for bore shine, but I'm just trying to stick with readily available products because I'm in rural Alaska and people get weird about shipping solvents. Thanks!
Pull the breech plug and be sure to clean the threads in the barrel. Moisture is your enemy. Always dry completely and lubricate.

Antares

WKR
Pull the breech plug and be sure to clean the threads in the barrel. Moisture is your enemy. Always dry completely and lubricate.

Right, but are we talking about pulling the plug between every shot at the range or at home for a deep clean?

I'm just trying to figure out a simple process at the range between shots.

ENCORE

WKR
Just swab at the range. You can use just a spit patch at the range. Once finished shooting, clean it completely.

Antares

WKR
Just swab at the range. You can use just a spit patch at the range. Once finished shooting, clean it completely.

I'm just learning here, so apologies for being slow. When you say "just swab at the range" are you pulling the breach plug or just swabbing from the muzzle?

Novashooter

Lil-Rokslider
BH209...i only use it on the breech plug,just enough to cover it and let it soak overnight then blow out with air.
Have you tried bore cleaner like Hoppes #9? BH209 is hard fouling, but I never had to leave a breech plug soaking overnight. A tooth brush and drill bit were the tools I used.

Rich M

WKR
Shot my ML on Wednesday - 10-12 shots. cleaned it quick 1/2 way thru and cleaned it last night.

I have a bag of patches and a bottle of alcohol windshield washer fluid mix - wet patches til clean, then run a dry patch or two. Wipe the bottom of the breech plug off and clean off the grime.

Did the same thing last night but cleaned the threads on the breach plug and in the breech. Ran 2 oily patches down barrel, oiled outside.

Gonna shoot it again next week so didn't do a deep clean. Will do that after the hunt.