Climbing Stand for Firearm Hunting

Zim

FNG
95% of my hunting the last 30 years has been archery, and I’ve settled in on using only lightweight Lone Wolf climbers the last 10. However, this year I’ve decided to take advantage of the 7 shotgun days & 3 muzzleloader days in Illinois to extend my season. I strictly hunt remote public, much via boat. Looking for recommendations on a good climber that has a serious gun shooting rail built in. I lost a great opportunity in the past due to not having a suitable gun rest. I’m 6’-2” and worried about scrunching down to have to use some of the rests I’ve seen. Curious if someone here has a first hand use opinion. Comfort is not a priority for me, weight definitely is. I found the article below for starters. Thanks.

Dented

WKR
I've used the summit viper, works great. I did add additional coverings on the rails and other exposed metal to make it quieter.

KenLee

WKR
I don't know of a light climber with rail.
If you want to tote the weight, a Gunslinger combo or old Trophy Whitetail combo.

OP
Zim

Zim

FNG
I've used the summit viper, works great. I did add additional coverings on the rails and other exposed metal to make it quieter.
Does the Viper include the rail? Do they have optional rails? Is it actually high enough to rest a gun on it, or just your elbows?

I have an older aluminum summit viper. I'm not a gun hunter, but the year my grandpa died he handed me down his 742. I took that 30-06, his red Stormy Kromer cap and a thermos of coffee and I sat a powerline. A doe walked out at 150 or so yards, off that fully enclose rail I made an easy shot on her. My grandpa would have been pleased. I finished my cup of coffee, said a prayer to thank the good lord for the opportunity to live another day and got down to go recover the doe. The rail made it easy to be steady and make a good shot on her.

I have since tried to get my father in law to use that stand for safety and simplicity sake. He isn't much for climbing a regular stand but he can manage to get 8 foot up in the climber without making me nervous.

Find the aluminum summit and you won't regret it. My pack sits on it well for carrying in, and it's so dang comfy. Great for all day sits. I do bow hunt out of mine occasionally and it's been great. Just set your seat height right so you can stand up and clear the rail.

Does the Viper include the rail? Do they have optional rails? Is it actually high enough to rest a gun on it, or just your elbows?
You can adjust your seat and set your platform height in relation to your seat/ top section so you can either rest your elbows, or your gun or both. I set my rifle across it while I'm sitting and then just use it to get steady. If you're like me and you can't sit still for long, you can sit on the rail if you are careful so you can give your old bum knee a chance to straighten out a bit.

Rich M

WKR
There is another post like this somewhere. I’ll summarize real quick.

Some guys know that they can lower their seat and shoot off the upper part of the platform and some don’t.

Others use shooting stick while in the stand, some dont know they can do that.

I do both. Use a 20# summitt stand.

Good luck to ya.

There is another post like this somewhere. I’ll summarize real quick.

Some guys know that they can lower their seat and shoot off the upper part of the platform and some don’t.

Others use shooting stick while in the stand, some dont know they can do that.

I do both. Use a 20# summitt stand.

Good luck to ya.
You can use a shooting stick in your stand!?!?!

Just kidding man- I bring one for me father in law too 🤣

Dented

WKR
I'll use mine for crossbow, rifle, muzzle. The rail works for me for steady shots.

Best option? See if you can locate one to try out from a friend.

Binz17

Lil-Rokslider
I made a little 4x4 inch platform with a hole in it out of plastic decking material so I could plug my shooting stick into it and have it stand up on it own. This is on a lone wolf hand climber though. My kid uses it for his crossbow too and it works great. I tried the summit stands, but man are they bulky, and when your kid bangs the Xbow off the only section of rail you didn't sound proof because you didn't think it was possible for him to actually hit that spot...you know what happens then.

Hudsy

FNG
I’m kind of a bigger guy so lowering my seat really cramps me with the viper. I made a makeshift shooting stick that clamps onto the rail so I can move it along the rail when needed. Love the Viper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alabamahunt

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with the above… they’re bulky my lone wolf climber packs down so nice I would probably go with the shooting stick. Although the summits are extremely comfortable they sit so low

I like my Summit a lot but can't think of a time I actually used the rail as a true rest due to getting the right angle/level. I've used my elbows to on the rail to help steady the shot. Typically, I'm in the woods when using it, so shots aren't any further than 100 yds. I've also had to stand to shoot behind me, using the tree as a brace.

I'd say go with what you have, plus a shooting stick. Practice taking some free hand shots as well as lightly braced shots. You should be fine.

OP
Zim

Zim

FNG
OK I really don’t need to clutter up my garage with another stand if unnecessary. Several have recommended shooting stix so I’ll try that first. Have no mono stix so will look at options.