Climbing sticks

Regarding the longer vs. shorter stick question, shorter sticks are becoming much more popular because a lot of folks are using strap/amsteel step-aiders (single step, multi-step, or movable).

I use 3-4 lone wolf sticks depending on the tree and this year went with 2 amsteel aiders. These add about 24' to each of my first two sticks partnered with my saddle set up, I can get to just about 20 feet with 3 sticks and 2 aiders. Not a bad deal.

I also picked up 4 amsteel daisy chains to replace my buckle straps and those things are golden. I don't like the idea of using it on my saddle platform as I seem to be able to get the strap much tighter with the buckle strap, but for my climbing sticks they work perfect. They are super-lightweight and pack up very small.

AFenny11

FNG
hawk helium sticks are the way to go imo. Cost effective, light, stackable. You can cover them in stealth strips to quiet them even more.

I'd go with the 20" version. I have 6 of the full length sticks, they don't fit my stride very well. I'll probably be cutting them all down to the 20" version. I don't think you can beat the helium's. One of the lightest, definitely the cheapest, change out the straps and you are set.

Scottyboy

WKR
Yes stock straps work fine. Just heavy, can be loud if not careful.

Gotcha, thanks! I will be more or less setting and forgetting on a private spot so not worried about weight and noise. After seeing the stock straps had me questioning how solid they would be...thanks for the feedback!

Crh1977

FNG
Looking to pick up a new pair of climbing sticks this year. I will hang stand early. Then carry sticks in and out everytime.

I think I am set on hawkheliums but can’t decide on the new 20 inch stocks or go with the longer ones.

what do you guys think?
You should check out Stacked sticks by stacked outdoors. They come in set of 4, they’re very quite and stack very easy and comes with carrying strap.

Anyone have any experience with the short xop? Looks like they are trying to compete with the cut down helium. Haven't seen them. Advertising 2.1# a piece. I hope that's strap and everything.

jonahw12

FNG
ive used lone wolf for the last three years and have no complains but i think the biggest thing with any stick is making them quiet for setup and take down.

Ethan-333

FNG
I use 3 full size helium’s with the rope mod. But I added aiders. If your only carrying in sticks. I would use 4 full sticks and no aiders. Shouldn’t be any trouble to carry in

The best way is to buy and try. I tried the aiders and longer sticks but I didn't like them. I think it is mostly just my lack of long legs (I'm 5'8") especially when in heavier cold weather gear. Everything worked fine in the summer but come November that extra 2 inches to step was a pain in the butt.

One aider on the bottom works good but any more than that I found it too dangerous to be viable. I prefer to carry in another stick or two these days if I am anticipating going high. Your mileage may vary.

Squirrels

WKR
Some of my favorite sticks

There are a lot of small companies now that make fantastic sticks, not the cheapest but you get what you pay for. There are a couple others out their that look good as well but I don't have hand on experience with those to give an opionion.

pk_

WKR
If one wasn’t worried about weight and noise, so the stock straps work ok (from a “safety” standpoint)?
If you replace with rope you can end up with more ‘sink’ when placing the stick, not usually a big deal but on slick bark or crooked trees the stick can ‘kick out’ on you. It’s just been my experience that I can get the stock straps much tighter when needed.

If you are worried about the metal buckles clanging, stealth strips sells buckle silencers they are pretty cheap:

Squirrels

WKR
If you replace with rope you can end up with more ‘sink’ when placing the stick, not usually a big deal but on slick bark or crooked trees the stick can ‘kick out’ on you. It’s just been my experience that I can get the stock straps much tighter when needed.

If you are worried about the metal buckles clanging, stealth strips sells buckle silencers they are pretty cheap:

Using the proper rope and "setting" the stick has eliminated that issue for me. Dynema rope like Amsteel has very little stretch. While it may seem odd, sticks with standoffs that are too sharp make problems worse. The stick needs to be able to slide down the tree a little when weight is induced so that the rope really tightens up. That combination along with a rope that doesnt stretch gets as tight as those straps with buckles for me.

pk_

WKR
Using the proper rope and "setting" the stick has eliminated that issue for me. Dynema rope like Amsteel has very little stretch. While it may seem odd, sticks with standoffs that are too sharp make problems worse. The stick needs to be able to slide down the tree a little when weight is induced so that the rope really tightens up. That combination along with a rope that doesnt stretch gets as tight as those straps with buckles for me.
Yea setting the stick is what I mean by the sink. I used aMsteel on LW, muddy and beast sticks. Like I said it was fine for the most part, the biggest issue is reaching up and grabbing the next stick especially on a leaning tree especially as your setting up before you climb onto the stick with your full weight. I have thought about filing down the stand cleats on the beast sticks but I find once they set they don’t creep back up the tree which can also lead to kick out especially climbing back down in the dark.

I think the rope mod is great for people who are very familiar with the gear, but I cringe at everyone suggesting it to someone who has never used a climbing stick, period. I believe there is a reason most sticks are sold with the straps and buckles, safety... less chance of operator error etc... But then again perhaps it’s just a cost thing, or just, this is what has always been done kind of thing 🤷‍♂️

Squirrels

WKR
Yea setting the stick is what I mean by the sink. I used aMsteel on LW, muddy and beast sticks. Like I said it was fine for the most part, the biggest issue is reaching up and grabbing the next stick especially on a leaning tree especially as your setting up before you climb onto the stick with your full weight. I have thought about filing down the stand cleats on the beast sticks but I find once they set they don’t creep back up the tree which can also lead to kick out especially climbing back down in the dark.

I think the rope mod is great for people who are very familiar with the gear, but I cringe at everyone suggesting it to someone who has never used a climbing stick, period. I believe there is a reason most sticks are sold with the straps and buckles, safety... less chance of operator error etc... But then again perhaps it’s just a cost thing, or just, this is what has always been done kind of thing 🤷‍♂️

Most of them come with the strap and buckle for insurance purposes. I don't come back down my stick. Yes, singular stick with a two or three step aider I sewed. I can climb as high as needed and I rappel down so coming down my stick has not been an issue. I agree that rope mods are more suited for people that have experience and really test their DIY gear to ensure that it will work as intended before using it in a hunting situtaion.

RatMe

FNG
Another vote for hawks from me. Four seasons now with a versa button and rope mod and going strong.

I’m sure the more expensive sticks are out of this world, but I’m a simpleton.

I’ve been surprised with the durability.

Jetsail

FNG
Hawk heliums are easy on the wallet and fairly light.

I have 4 and I only use a large aider on the bottom stick. Depending on location. I will only use 3.

T_Nelomz

FNG
Look into Beast Gear sticks. A little expensive, but high quality and built with the mobile hunter in mind.
I second the Beast Gear sticks. Super light and very stackable. Then switch out the cam buckle straps with a couple rope mods to make them even quieter and quicker to set up.