Close distance shots with extra full chokes

Chaser96

FNG
I shoot a 20 gauge. I’m currently shooting a .560 which is still pretty tight but with my setup it gives me enough forgiveness that I’m okay with it. I also use a red dot which helps a lot. If I was setting up a new gun I’d go .575. If you’re shooting a 12 that’s different obviously

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chaser96

FNG
Sorry I just re read I see you’re shooting a 20. What gun are you shooting? I’ll check the old gobbler forum if you’d like and see if I can find pattern pictures for you

OP
Y
I shoot a 20 gauge. I’m currently shooting a .560 which is still pretty tight but with my setup it gives me enough forgiveness that I’m okay with it. I also use a red dot which helps a lot. If I was setting up a new gun I’d go .575. If you’re shooting a 12 that’s different obviously

I’m working on a 20 gauge setup, so that’s helpful advice.

OP
Y
Sorry I just re read I see you’re shooting a 20. What gun are you shooting? I’ll check the old gobbler forum if you’d like and see if I can find pattern pictures for you

I have a Cz o/u. Contemplating whether or not to use that or put together a single shot setup like the Rossi or stevens 301.

Chaser96

FNG
My brother shoots a 301T with the factory choke and it is pretty wicked. I’ve always liked the idea of setting up an o/u. If you decide to go that route and want a red dot check out meadow creek mounts. They’re awesome

dtrkyman

WKR
At 15 yards the difference between my .555 Ic and the factory which is supposed to be .580 is not that drastic, so I have been rolling with the .555 but the wad catchers on that IC choke are beat to hell!

IC claims it is fine but at some point I would think it would change the patterns the choke throws?

20 yds with a Franchi Affinity 20 ga, Carlson .575 choke, Apex #9. The tape is 2" wide, so the full pattern is approximately 8" wide.

AvhNtDj.jpg

Laramie

WKR
My modified choke stays in my 870 year round. Turkeys out to 40 yards have never been an issue. I like it because it provides a lot more room for error on closer shots and I have never had an issue calling a tom inside of 40 yards.

OP
Y
At 15 yards the difference between my .555 Ic and the factory which is supposed to be .580 is not that drastic, so I have been rolling with the .555 but the wad catchers on that IC choke are beat to hell!

IC claims it is fine but at some point I would think it would change the patterns the choke throws?
Thanks for the information. I was curious in the difference in spread at those closer distances. Doesn’t seem make a huge difference.

OP
Y
My modified choke stays in my 870 year round. Turkeys out to 40 yards have never been an issue. I like it because it provides a lot more room for error on closer shots and I have never had an issue calling a tom inside of 40 yards.
Are you shooting lead or tss?

UpTop

Lil-Rokslider
This is pretty much where I’m at with all of it. I see the fun and allure of tricking out a turkey specific setup, but it’s just never been a necessity yet. I really have no interest in shooting turkeys at distances that warrant patterns so tight. If they don’t come all the way in they win. And let’s be honest, any turkey within 25 yards or less is pretty much dying with dang near anything you shoot at it.

huntineveryday

Lil-Rokslider
There is a lot if good info to be found at oldgobbler forum. A lot of load patterning posts where you can see specific gun/choke/load combos others have posted. I was able to narrow it down to a couple chokes to try for my setup. Also, if you call trulock, carlson, indian creek, etc...most have tested and can recommend which constrictions work best for the load/gun you are shooting.