Close thread

I picked up a 300 WM tikka SL. Would like to chop 2 inches off barrel to thread and add break to keep OAL manageable. Has anyone else done this?

If so what velocity loss did you get and was muzzle blast tolerable? I am trying to avoid neutering it to a 30-06 that’s just more unpleasant to shoot.

If it's the super lite then your barrel is fluted, generally you want at least 2" of non fluted barrel before the muzzle so chopping it down might be a bad idea

JoeDirt

WKR
If you're going break that barrel lose and pay a gun smith his time. You might as well screw on a new barrel.

Cutting a barrel down is always a compromise, magnum rifles tend to perform worse than a 308 with a shorter barrel.

Last edited:

Sled

WKR
As mentioned, your flutes will be an issue. Sell that rifle for more than you paid and find a regular t3x to chop. I'd look for a wsm if I wanted to go short.

OP
O
As mentioned, your flutes will be an issue. Sell that rifle for more than you paid and find a regular t3x to chop. I'd look for a wsm if I wanted to go short.
Sorry all for confusion SL = Stainless Lite not Super Lite. I am not looking for any theoretical banter just feedback on those who have done it.

LightFoot

WKR
Sorry all for confusion SL = Stainless Lite not Super Lite. I am not looking for any theoretical banter just feedback on those who have done it.
Ooooo (grimace face)....

There are lots of threads on this very issue.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

B23

WKR
I've had some barrels chopped only a little and others a lot never had one that hasn't shot, at least, as good as it did before it was shortened up. Like was already mentioned if it's a fluted barrel you won't be able to cut nearly as much off. As for velocity loss, having a gun that is more pleasurable to shoot will more than make up for that minimal loss in velocity.

Sled

WKR

Well I've done it with plenty of other calibers. Enjoy your time here. Utilize the search function, you'll get less theoretical banter. And if you post something maybe be a little more specific instead of making up your own abbreviations.

ID_Matt

WKR
If you're going break that barrel lose and pay a gun smith his time. You might as well screw on a new barrel.

Cutting a barrel down is always a compromise, magnum rifles tend to perform worse than a 308 with a shorter barrel.
I don't know if I agree with this, unless I am reading it wrong. Are you saying an 18" 308 win will out perform an 18" 300 win mag? Or are you measuring performance in relation to grains of powder vs velocity.

z987k

WKR
i chopped my stainless lite to 20" and threaded 1/2x28. Currently running 162gr at 2950fps. I don't know what I lost in velocity because I never chrono'd it before cutting it, but that's still everything dead within 500yds, so... good enough. Depending on your bullet choice, you're still looking at a 6-700 yard effective gun with the 22" 300wm. If you need more than that, then I guess don't, but you should probably look at another cartridge in that case.
Highly recommend it.

Last edited:

JoeDirt

WKR
I don't know if I agree with this, unless I am reading it wrong. Are you saying an 18" 308 win will out perform an 18" 300 win mag? Or are you measuring performance in relation to grains of powder vs velocity.
300 win mag will lose more velocity than a 308. I wasn't trying to imply the 308 would outperform. It would just be more efficient.

300 win mag will lose more velocity than a 308. I wasn't trying to imply the 308 would outperform. It would just be more efficient.
Thankfully we get to beat this dead horse again, it's Impossible for a 308 to beat a 300 WM at any given barrel length. Efficiency be damned. If you want whatever bullet at the highest speed possible, you need the largest cartridge that will fit the given action size.

I picked up a 300 WM tikka SL. Would like to chop 2 inches off barrel to thread and add break to keep OAL manageable. Has anyone else done this?

If so what velocity loss did you get and was muzzle blast tolerable? I am trying to avoid neutering it to a 30-06 that’s just more unpleasant to shoot.
Since its a stainless light and not an SL I say chop it to 20"
That way when the snot is done dripping from your eyes it'll be a good length for a suppressor 😉