CLOSED - Thanks for the help RE: Tire Chains Advice

TheGDog

WKR
NEED HELP:
I volunteered to be an additional driver to ferry-up some of our troops boyscouts to this cabin camping they'll be doing the weekend of March 17-19th. There was those freakish heavy-rains recently which dumped a lot of snow in San Bernardino Mtns... and this week as well supposed to rain Tues and ran/snow Weds .

So I'm figuring likelihood is HIGH they'll make people put on chains up there.

Never used chains before.

Vehicle: 2014 Ford F-150 STX 2WD. Current Tires are 265/60R18 Cooper Discoverer AT3's.

From skimming thru this thread... looks like there's different choices to make if only driving on road... vs also potentially driving upon dirt roads? (Am I understanding this right?)

Since my usage will be low, easiest to install is probably best.

Since I'm 2WD, will I need for all 4 tires? I'm figuring for traction while steering probably good idea to get for all 4 tires? (Or no? please explain a lil)

Appreciate any help as I have to hurry up and order them today, probably with expedited shipping.

-G

RELIANT

FNG
Lot of good info on the different types of chains from these guys https://tirechain.com/truck-and-suv/.

I ordered from them a few years ago and got square link chains with cams for all four. I've only had to chain up a few times though so definitely not an expert. Typically folks out here (east) just put two on the back, but I noticed that out west lots of guys run them on the front especially when hauling trailers

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
OK that Quick fit style seems easy enough to put on.

Anything I need to know about using them... such as... can I drive on dirt with them on?

OK that Quick fit style seems easy enough to put on.

Anything I need to know about using them... such as... can I drive on dirt with them on?
There pretty great.
Yes dirt.
They are pretty robust. But also not a full bore offroad spinning the tires snagging sage brush chain.
The diamond shape rides smoother

And the back hoop has a clasp so you slide them behind the tire.

They do make a slightly heavier duty model i think is called alpine super sport

87TT

WKR
Just on the rear wheels. Go to Home Depot and buy at least 6 bags of course sand. this will add weight to the rear of the truck and if you get stuck on ice be used for traction. Whatever chains you get 1) put them on at home to make sure they fit 2) have at least 2 sets of those heavy rubber tighteners. 3)if you can afford it, have cash and pay the installers to put them on.
Those quick link and diamond chains are crap. Same with the cable type. The V bar are good but extremely rough ride unless deep snow. After all the weather you have had down there, chains will be tough to find I'm guessing. The regular old cross link chains are the simplest. Just put them on snuggly and use the rubber tighteners otherwise they are going to come loose and tear up your truck, maybe get you stuck or wrap around your axel and leave you disabled. Good luck.

Oh and FYI, plan on being on the road and stuck in traffic for hours and hours

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
Oh and FYI, plan on being on the road and stuck in traffic for hours and hours
Dang It! Farveknugen!(one of my replacement swear words sometimes)... if you only KNEW just How Much that very thing is my Kryptonite!

Sigh.. thanks for the heads up. No Coffee for me that day, then.... Grrr. That's the only thing in this world I have like ZERO patience for, traffic that doesn't at least move. Because there was a period there for a couple years where I commuted about 50M each way M-F, before I went full remote work, some 22 yrs ago.

When I was commuting so dang far, I eventually....eveeeeentually got to where I could finally just turn-off a mental key and tell myself how getting upset about it was just hurting me.

But... since I've been away from it for soo long. Anytime I gotta hit a fwy during "Normal People" hours? Like on the drive back home after a long day-hunt, For example. I've noticed I have all that inner impatience again. Meh.. Guess I'll try to slap on some more chill music and hope for the best. At least there'll be the scouts to keep me company I suppose!

Last edited: