Closest puffy to the Grumman?

The new Sitka Kelvin Lite Down Jacket is pretty tough to beat. It uses a 900 fill hydrophobic down/synthetic blend which helps minimize loft issues that are normally associated with down products!

I can't see how the new Sitka Jacket compares with 5-5.5oz fill down jackets. There just isn't enough fill, and its a blended fill, to compete. Fill weight is key with down jackets and the only way you get away with less is a shell or wind blocker integrated into the jacket. Sitka says 110 grams so 3.9 oz of down and then add some 60 gsm synthetic on part of the arms and lower back. 60 gsm anywhere isn't going to make up 20+% down fill weight throughout the jacket. I will agree the new Sitka is in the same relative range and Sitka didn't have a down Jacket in this conversation range but when looking at specs they came up short on fill. 5oz down fill jackets still aren't that warm when its cold out and any of the options listed in the 5 oz plus fill range will be warmer (Grumman, Ptarmigan, Ghar, SD Pro). For example the Ghar has 180 grams of down blend (Primaloft gold which is the same listed for the sitka) so 6.3 oz of fill and then 100 grams of full synthetic on the shoulders, arm pits and lower sleeve cuffs. The sitka will not compete you just can't cheat fill weight.

I switched from the Ptarmigan to the Ghar and don't expect huge gains there but I for sure won't loose any warmth, and I'm going to add either the Sitka WS or FL Chamberlain for this next season.

novcie870

WKR
I just ordered the Grumman a few days ago after researching the heck out of down jackets for way too many hours! I am excited to put it through its paces in ID and Wyoming this fall!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
What's at the top of your list for a down jacket these days? I'm having a hard time bumping the Grumman from my top option in its class.

I use the Kryptek Guar the most.

Rommy

Lil-Rokslider
That's one of the reasons I think my coat will be a LPP.

I’ve had the LPP for years now and never used it. It’s really heavy and really bulky. And tbh, I don’t think it’s as warm as everyone says. The cloth is also really loud and has a weird tent or sleeping bag like feeling to it. Idk, you might like it, but it would be the first jacket id ditch if I had to.

I’ve had the LPP for years now and never used it. It’s really heavy and really bulky. And tbh, I don’t think it’s as warm as everyone says. The cloth is also really loud and has a weird tent or sleeping bag like feeling to it. Idk, you might like it, but it would be the first jacket id ditch if I had to.

Rommy...thanks for the info. I don't want a camo one and the brown one looks shiny and I did wonder how loud it is. One thing I do like is it made in the USA. The other coat that I am looking at is the ArcTeryx Leaf Cold WX hoody.

LJ Buck

WKR
All people do is talk on forums about fill weight and specs but it’s more then that.

Example: Sitka new jacket and its fill weight and mixture of synthetics, which makes the jacket extremely versatile, you can actually move in it without overheating, it handles moisture significantly better then even a treated down.

LPP: One of the best synthetic jackets around, very warm and handles moisture very well. I can’t imagine being anywhere up north and wanting a pure down jacket as my puffy. Unless it’s August.

Also people are always comparing how warm a jacket is but you really have to take in consideration of what people have layered underneath. This drastically dictates how moisture and warmth is handled.

I like a puffy I can move around in a bit without over heating, I think most people are hunting sept and some of October in the backcountry in states with nice weather like CO where you can easily get away with less like just a down puffy. But if you have ever been in a shitty situation on a mountain where you are purely depending on your puffy for warmth and safety and your not just 2hrs from the trail head then I would consider and down synthetic mix or a synthetic.

One to look out for is the dynafit Cho Oyu down jacket. It is one of the lightest baffled down jackets I have ever seen. Downtek as well. Beware, it runs small.
I bought one years ago for $100 on eBay. A rodent chewed a few holes in it on mt Rainier, but I patched it up. Really nice jacket if you can find one.

$55 on eBay for a women's one.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

So after reading all 3 pages here, Im still undecided. I already have 2 of the LPP (Multicam and brown). I really liked the Grumman when I seen it at the expo in the new color option. I was wanting to buy one. Is it worth the money to have both? Is there enough difference in the two to have both? I do a lot of competition shooting and I'm on the ground a lot. The LPP seems like it can take this type of abuse with its reinforced areas on the pockets and elbows. The Grumman most likely isn't suited to this type of use. What is the opinions of those that have both?

Beckjhong

WKR
I had a cerium LT and an LPP. Sold the arcteryx. I’m notoriously hard on my gear, and I knew I’d end up ripping the cerium. It’s the old adage, lightweight, durable and cheap—choose two. Yes, the LPP is bulky, yes I wish it took up less space. But i don’t carry a bunch of extra clothing, and I know it’ll be durable and that I’ll get more than my money’s worth out of it.

My honest opinion is the Arcteryx stuff goes for style before function on their down stuff. Hunting brands tend to be under stuffed and underwhelming when it comes to down. Mountaineering brands seem to get it. They design it as a life saving garment as it should be. I have run a Rab Neutrino the past 5 years and have never been cold in it in Colorado. It has saved my ass a few times with wind and cold at 12k on a mountain side. I do not ever leave home or my tent without it. It has a nice pertex face that kicks off the snow flakes and a great hood. I have can't find anything that will match it.

PS. Not hating on SG. I have ran their packs for 6 years.