Clothing for September Elk-Back Packing in

mww982

WKR
Going on an elk hunt in September in Colorado and looking like I am going to need to upgrade some of my hunting clothes. Specifically pants, most of my hunting clothing now is scentlok stuff I've had for a while, which have suited me well for turkey and deer hunting. I have a First Lite Wick long sleeve shirt already and the fuse base layers top and bottoms already. Here's what I am looking at getting and I'm not necessarily looking to stick to one brand.

First Lite-
-Kiln Long Boxers
-Wick Boot Height Base Layer Pants
-Klamath Hoody
-Corrugated Foundry Pant

Sitka-
-Kelvin Aerolite Jacket
-Mountain Pant

Also interested in some of the Kuiu stuff but not sure on pant sizing, but they will be at an expo near me this week so I can try them on before ordering. If I go Kuiu I would most likely stick with them for everything, except base layers since I am digging the Vias pattern for deer and big game. Reminds me of an old school pattern. This is what I am looking at in their lines.
-Super down ultra jacket
-Axis Vest (not sure if this is needed)
-Pro Merino 200 Zip T
-Pro Merino 200 Zip T Hoddie
-Attack Pants
-Pro Pants

Am I on the right track or completely off with these choices? Which would you leave off, which would you buy? Any other recommendations?

Brooks

WKR
I’ve got a lot of KUIU and the KUIU you are thinking about is what I wear about every hunt. You should have good boots,I have several pairs but for warm Sept. hunts I go with Lowa Tibet GTX and Darn Tough socks. You need some rain gear. I have Sitka rain gear but it’s about 10 years old and don’t remember the name of it . There’s better rain gear today but this stuff I have still works great.

OP
M

mww982

WKR
I’ve got a lot of KUIU and the KUIU you are thinking about is what I wear about every hunt. You should have good boots,I have several pairs but for warm Sept. hunts I go with Lowa Tibet GTX and Darn Tough socks. You need some rain gear. I have Sitka rain gear but it’s about 10 years old and don’t remember the name of it . There’s better rain gear today but this stuff I have still works great.
Boots I have Crispi Brisdals, rain gear is badlands bail jacket and pants. Socks, I have minus 33 mountain heritage boot liner socks-micro weight. Will bring a couple pair of warmer wool socks that I already own.

aidan_downey

Lil-Rokslider
My first question would be what kind of boots/pack do you have? Sounds like you have good boots, but what about pack? If you are backpacking in, and then plan to haul an elk out from whatever hell hole you shoot it in, a good pack is going to help you out waaay more than clothing. If you have a good pack then your clothing options you listed will all be fine.

OP
M

mww982

WKR
My first question would be what kind of boots/pack do you have? Sounds like you have good boots, but what about pack? If you are backpacking in, and then plan to haul an elk out from whatever hell hole you shoot it in, a good pack is going to help you out waaay more than clothing. If you have a good pack then your clothing options you listed will all be fine.
I have a Badlands MRK 6, couldn't find many reviews on it but I get a pretty good discount on badlands stuff through guidefitter or expertvoice. Tent, I went with the mountain star 2.0. Sleeping system, Klymit KSB 15, insulated static v recon pad and luxe pillow.

aidan_downey

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Badlands MRK6, couldn't find many reviews on it but I get a pretty good discount on them through guidefitter and expert voice, so I decided to give it a try.
I promise I'm not trying to be a troll or a dick, but I used to have a badlands pack. I don't anymore. I hauled a couple of mulies out of the Backcountry and that was enough for me to know I never wanted to do an elk with it. Effed my neck up for months after hauling those things out on the badlands. I would HIGHLY suggest you sell the badlands and get at MINIMUM a mystery ranch (I would recommend kifaru) but stone glacier and exo are good options too. Trust me, you shoot a bull in a crappy spot this fall 3 miles+ in and you try and haul it out with your badlands. You won't get the whole bull out. You'll be whipped after two loads. And that's if you are in shape!

OP
M

mww982

WKR
I promise I'm not trying to be a troll or a dick, but I used to have a badlands pack. I don't anymore. I hauled a couple of mulies out of the Backcountry and that was enough for me to know I never wanted to do an elk with it. Effed my neck up for months after hauling those things out on the badlands. I would HIGHLY suggest you sell the badlands and get at MINIMUM a mystery ranch (I would recommend kifaru) but stone glacier and exo are good options too. Trust me, you shoot a bull in a crappy spot this fall 3 miles+ in and you try and haul it out with your badlands. You won't get the whole bull out. You'll be whipped after two loads. And that's if you are in shape!
Not taking it that way at all. Which Badlands pack did you use prior? Which Kifaru would you recommend?

jmez

WKR
I would switch the mountain pant for Ascent in Sept. Mountain pants will be hot. Not a fan of Kuiu attacks. I think the Ascent is far superior.

You will be fine with that pack.

aidan_downey

Lil-Rokslider
Not taking it that way at all. Which Badlands pack did you use prior? Which Kifaru would you recommend?
I had the 2200. I have a kifaru woodsman now but am looking to get a bigger bag. The mountain pants you'll be fine in. I have run those pants plenty of September's, a little warm early, but perfect, mid/later September. And @jmez is right, that pack will be fine if you only plan to kill and elk 2 miles and in from a road. Any farther in and it won't. Trust me, I have killed my fair share of elk far from a road. All 3 plus miles from a road except two. It sucked with the kifaru, I wouldn't want to do it with a badlands.

OP
M

mww982

WKR
I would switch the mountain pant for Ascent in Sept. Mountain pants will be hot. Not a fan of Kuiu attacks. I think the Ascent is far superior.

You will be fine with that pack.

I had the 2200. I have a kifaru woodsman now but am looking to get a bigger bag. The mountain pants you'll be fine in. I have run those pants plenty of September's, a little warm early, but perfect, mid/later September. And @jmez is right, that pack will be fine if you only plan to kill and elk 2 miles and in from a road. Any farther in and it won't. Trust me, I have killed my fair share of elk far from a road. All 3 plus miles from a road except two. It sucked with the kifaru, I wouldn't want to do it with a badlands.
Not trying to start an argument but the 2200 and MRK6 look like two completely different set ups. I'll give it a go for this year and decide.

Medusa7MM

WKR
This! Can you haul an elk out with a Badlands pack of course. BUT depending how far you are in one of the above mentioned packs would make the haul a little more less miserable. Do yourself a favor now and upgrade your pack.

Medusa7MM

WKR
Take a look at Prana Zion pants. Several good reviews of these pants on this forum. Little cheaper than the big name brand picks and I don’t have one complaint about them. I use them in September/October.

Wingshooter

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted in Cabelas Microtex pants and shirt combined as the base for last Colorado archery season. For me as long as it's quiet and somewhat of drab synthetic/fleece garments will save you money that you can put towards a solid sleep/tent setup. Good boots and pack are also in front of the super high speed hunting gear for me. But we all are playing with different checkbooks so if yours allows for the high end on most things technical clothing is nice. The friend I hunted with had lots of the latest stuff neither of us wined about being cold or hot more than the other.

For September, the Kuiu Kutana Stretch Woven pants are my go to. I have a pair of the Kuiu Pro pants and Kuiu Attack pants and both are too warm. You'll give up a little in durability, but it's well worth the trade-off in my opinion.

Scoot

WKR
I hauled a couple of mulies out of the Backcountry and that was enough for me to know I never wanted to do an elk with it. Effed my neck up for months after hauling those things out on the badlands.
Good advice here, IMO. The Badlands may work for you, but didn't for me. I also hauled an elk 5.5 miles in a Sitka Bivy45 and I can promise you I'll never do that again! Just like Aidan above, my traps weren't the same for about a month after that trip. In fact, that pack went down the road the minute I returned from that trip an I bought a Kifaru soon after. Kifaru, MR, SG, and Exo make great packs- you'll likely be happy with any of them. Or... you won't! Packs are kinda like boots in that some just don't work for some people and others just fit like a glove. Be sure to do some hiking and hauling well before your hunt with whatever you end up with to make sure that it will work for you. Good luck!

OP
M

mww982

WKR
Good advice here, IMO. The Badlands may work for you, but didn't for me. I also hauled an elk 5.5 miles in a Sitka Bivy45 and I can promise you I'll never do that again! Just like Aidan above, my traps weren't the same for about a month after that trip. In fact, that pack went down the road the minute I returned from that trip an I bought a Kifaru soon after. Kifaru, MR, SG, and Exo make great packs- you'll likely be happy with any of them. Or... you won't! Packs are kinda like boots in that some just don't work for some people and others just fit like a glove. Be sure to do some hiking and hauling well before your hunt with whatever you end up with to make sure that it will work for you. Good luck!

I have 50 lbs of sand split up into 20 and 30lb bricks. Plan on putting those in my pack and hiking or walking/hiking at least once a week as part of my workout routine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
M

mww982

WKR
This! Can you haul an elk out with a Badlands pack of course. BUT depending how far you are in one of the above mentioned packs would make the haul a little more less miserable. Do yourself a favor now and upgrade your pack.
The Kifaru is a bit out of my price range but the SG and EXO with their LEO discount are more inline with what I would spend. I have narrowed it down to the SG R3 5900 or Archer 6400 OR EXO K3. Which one would be better or are they all pretty equivalent.

Rampaige

Lil-Rokslider
I've only hunted out west once, so take what I have to offer with a grain of salt. As far as pants go I have First Lite Sawbucks I wear for birds and whitetail here in the Northeast but I wore $20 Wrangler stretch nylon in Colorado in September. I wear those pants almost every day, honestly. I had a similar system to what you're looking at and will be using it again this fall.

My Kit:
Plain Merino T Shirt
Fuse base layers top and bottom
Wrangler Outdoor Zip Cargo Pants
Kiln quarter zip
REI 650 Down Puffy Jacket I got on sale for $60 last summer
Outdoor Research Rain Jacket
First Lite Boundary Rain Pants.

I was comfortable with that as far as clothing. I'm also looking into the Kuiu Ultra just to have a better-fitting jacket but I can't decide between that and the Kenai because the Kenai would be better for bowhunting back home.

I have a 20 degree bag and insulated pad and I was on the cold side but that might be because I'm not used to sleeping in a bag in cold temps. I slept with my puffy on and that was a little better. If I could do it again, I'd buy a 15 degree at a minimum.

You'll want light gloves for sure. I wore those every morning.

I have a Mystery Ranch bag and I love it. I want a Kifaru because...well, Kifaru. However, I love the way my MR fits, its very durable, and I love the layout so I won't be buying a Kifaru. I didn't get an elk last year so I can't report on an actual animal, but it carries 60 lbs of gear or 75lbs of sandbags very well. I have a Badlands Dash daypack for whitetail. If your Badlands is made anything like the Dash is made you'll be much happier upgrading your pack.

You can PM me if you have more questions.

Medusa7MM

WKR
I can only comment on the EXO pack. I ran one for two years liked the pack. I now use a Kifaru pack. In my opinion the lumbar pad and frame configuration worked a lot better for me, especially with heavier loads the Kifaru feels way better.