CO 11/211 3rd season deer

Ist deer hunt in Colorado for my hunting partner and I . Not looking for places to hunt , we'll be there early and figure it out. Just curious about the unit in general having never been there .

Tons of OTC elk hunters? Decent resident deer herd ? If anyone would like to share any helpful information via PM I can exchange information on Idaho general and controlled deer and elk.

ccarter

FNG
Weiser-
You should see lots of Deer, and probably some elk during the third season. There are lots of bucks, just not a ton of bigger, mature bucks. If the high country gets a lot of snow, it could be better for bigger deer. it's not a high unit, so it's lots of glassing and trying to pick them out of the sage, buck brush and pjs.
Just get good maps or the gps chip so you know where you're at. the public/private boundaries aren't always marked well. good luck, it should be a fun hunt.

Tons of elk hunters? yup.

I know exactly where I'd go in that unit for muleys - will send a PM

Agreed on knowing where you're at. Also, a lot of the state land in that unit does not allow public access, and you can get in trouble if you aren't heads-up.

Bkottke35

WKR
You’re going to see a lot of hunters. If the weather is bad I’d say to Make sure you’ve got chains if you’re going to be driving in. I know the south side of the unit gets a little nasty at times. You should see some decent deer. I’ve never hunted 211 but have been to 11. I’ll be in a neighboring unit to you during the same season. Good luck!

OP
W
Thanks, I'll be leaving camp each morning in a SXS, if I need chains for it I'm screwed ! I figured there would be plenty of hunters around, hopefully a bunch of lazy road hunters . I'm planning on covering as much ground on foot as I can and putting in a ton of time glassing . Looks like the weather is already getting bad , I mean good! Hopefully hard work will pay off . Good luck to you as well !

@WeiserBucks how did the Hunt turn out? I have a third season deer tag this year and hunting partner has an elk tag. As much pressure as advertised?

dacoop19

FNG
@WeiserBucks I'm headed to 11/211 for my first muley hunt in Colorado for 3rd season. I had a chance to get out there in August and familiarize myself with the BLM access on the south end of 11 and north end of 211. I've heard of the pressure the unit gets there during 3rd season and was wondering if you had any recommendations on places to get away from OTC elk hunters and the sea of orange. Thanks in advance.

OP
W
You might find a buck to kill, but you won't escape the orange army. Embrace the pressure and try to find a way to make it work in your favor.