CO Elk Structure, 2025+

Residents will hate me but I think option 6 on both is the way forward. It decrease pressure and increase quality across the board. If I were a resident i would rather have a quality bull and/or cow tag hunt than the ability to hunt wherever and whenever I wanted.

I see a lot of A6/R6 posts, but man I just can't imagine somebody not being able to hunt their own resident state. We'll never have that problem here in TX so it just boggles my mind that a resident anywhere might not be able to get a tag to hunt. I think A5/R5, or maybe just go light with A3/R3 is a better option. edit: It's not one of the options, but would like to see OTC tag purchase forfeit any PP's. People should have to choose one or the other, not both.

CObywayofUSAF

Lil-Rokslider
I would be all in for “mini draws” for leftovers I’d throw money every week at it and then would eliminate supposed “bots/programs” from snatching tags
That's kind of what I was thinking...even if it was $10-$20 I'd def still throw in every week.

Look at some of the high profile tags that made the list this year. Desert Sheep? Just last week they had 2 deer tags that took RESIDENTS 11 points to get. You'd have tons of people putting in for those. I get it's a drop in the bucket, but it's something.

CObywayofUSAF

Lil-Rokslider
I see a lot of A6/R6 posts, but man I just can't imagine somebody not being able to hunt their own resident state. We'll never have that problem here in TX so it just boggles my mind that a resident anywhere might not be able to get a tag to hunt. I think A5/R5, or maybe just go light with A3/R3 is a better option. edit: It's not one of the options, but would like to see OTC tag purchase forfeit any PP's. People should have to choose one or the other, not both.
I mean at the end of the day that's the hunter's choice. The problem right now is people aren't needing to pick stacking points or hunting. Especially if they change tag allocation's, there is no reason a resident shouldn't get to hunt every year. If they want to collect points for 10 years to hunt a "trophy" unit that's their choice.

I mean at the end of the day that's the hunter's choice. The problem right now is people aren't needing to pick stacking points or hunting. Especially if they change tag allocation's, there is no reason a resident shouldn't get to hunt every year. If they want to collect points for 10 years to hunt a "trophy" unit that's their choice.
Exactly. If they choose to buy an OTC tag that should wipe out the points, but I think they should still have the choice to buy an OTC tag.

Txarcher

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I just finished the survey. The questions at the end led me to believe they are wondering if people would apply more or less if OTC were eliminated. One set of questions if just eliminated for NR only and the same questions if eliminated for both NR and R.

Subliminal1

Lil-Rokslider
A6 and R6 - this is coming from a NR who has hunted CO OTC.

As a NR hunter to western states, we have play the game. Hunt different states, build points, hunt different seasons, figure out draw odds, hunt multiple species, grab returned tags.

I guess my point is opportunity is out there!! Just have fun hunting, learning, seeing new places!

Last edited:

Overdrive

WKR
That's kind of what I was thinking...even if it was $10-$20 I'd def still throw in every week.

Look at some of the high profile tags that made the list this year. Desert Sheep? Just last week they had 2 deer tags that took RESIDENTS 11 points to get. You'd have tons of people putting in for those. I get it's a drop in the bucket, but it's something.
I think one thing that needs to change with the turned in/leftover's is you can only try for a tag in the unit/DAU that you put in at the primary drawing. And you have to put in the primary draw to be eligible for any future turned in/leftover tags for that calendar year.

Overdrive

WKR
Exactly. If they choose to buy an OTC tag that should wipe out the points, but I think they should still have the choice to buy an OTC tag.
Why should I as a resident loose my PP's when I'm drawing a 2nd choice Elk license that no one else wanted? I'm hunting a less desirable license waiting my turn for a OiL license.

I draw this tag every year and I see them on the leftover list. The system for PP's has been in place for 30+ years some of us figured it out and now newcomers what to cry it's not fair.

tdhanses

WKR
I was one of the few NR to receive the survey and oddly enough my 2 hunting buddies also received it.

Last edited:

tdhanses

WKR
Oh they would still, there are B tags and leftovers every year, they would just not build points but the opportunity to hunt each year would be there.

wildcat33

WKR
To me its insane that a NR would want to buy an OTC bull tag for 760$ when the success rate for most OTC units is near single digits (combine cow + bull!). If I was out of state I would rather spend that money, or more, and know the quality of my hunt would be much better but further between. But I can see why CPW is addicted to unlimited NR OTC. They will make this decision with their pocket book, not hunter quality and herd sustainability, despite the current dog show.

tdhanses

WKR
To me it’s insane that a NR would want to buy an OTC bull tag for 760$ when the success rate for most OTC units is near single digits (combine cow + bull!). If I was out of state I would rather spend that money, or more, and know the quality of my hunt would be much better but further between. But I can see why CPW is addicted to unlimited NR OTC. They will make this decision with their pocket book, not hunter quality and herd sustainability, despite the current dog show.
$760 is less then most pay golfing a year, for those of us that love hunting in the elk, bear and deer woods in the mountains but don’t live where that is at have to just suck it up if we want to do what we enjoy.

wildcat33

WKR
$760 is less then most pay golfing a year, for those of us that love hunting in the elk, bear and deer woods in the mountains but don’t live where that is at have to just suck it up if we want to do what we enjoy.

I guess what I'm getting at is; that's a lot of money for most (why anyone would spend that much on golf is beyond me). I would rather spend it knowing there was a quality experience waiting for me on the other end rather than CPW shelling those tags out as fast as they can to make some fat stacks. The message I hear from CPW is not "we value the contribution of non residents and want to make sure they have a good experience", it's simply "we need non resident money to keep flowing". As a non-res I would be hoping to see some improvement on the latter part of that statement.

Subliminal1

Lil-Rokslider
Agreed! it also is an opportunity to get at bats while building points (not just talking about CO) But I still think A6 and R6 is where its at. My thoughts are as follows.. and I'm sure I'll get shit on for not thinking this through properly but here we go...

1) The "OTC" states get pounded.
2) The government IMO rarely does things effectively/efficiently with "our" money
3) The Federal land vs State citizen, argument
4) Forces people to learn regs/draw odds/return tags and think through a short term, mid term, long term game plan.

Idk! Just where my head is at today. Feel free to give counter arguments and change my mind! 😀

Jethro

WKR
Just last night looking at season ski pass for my daughter. $500 student, $750 adult. For a second I thought that is expensive. Then realized, if I loved skiing, it would be worth it. I don't ski, but I like elk hunting so the cost is worth it.

Jethro

WKR
I guess what I'm getting at is; that's a lot of money for most (why anyone would spend that much on golf is beyond me). I would rather spend it knowing there was a quality experience waiting for me on the other end rather than CPW shelling those tags out as fast as they can to make some fat stacks. The message I hear from CPW is not "we value the contribution of non residents and want to make sure they have a good experience", it's simply "we need non resident money to keep flowing". As a non-res I would be hoping to see some improvement on the latter part of that statement.
CPW isn't forcing any NR to buy a tag.