CO GMU 55 Outfitters

mtholton

FNG
Has anyone done an archery hunt through an outfitter? I went here last year DYI and had a great time. Looking to possibly go with my dad and he'd be more interested in a drop camp or semi guided trip. Kind of coming together quickly/last min. Just looking for recommendations. Ideally, we'd get dropped off to a camp and have packing services if needed. He's in his 60's and worried about a long heavy pack out.

gobears870

Lil-Rokslider
I can't vouch for them personally, but from what I gather the two major outfitters for 55 are AEI and Gunnison Country. AEI has a base camp in the Taylor Park area while G.C. is in Fossil Ridge Wilderness. They both run drop camp/self-guided options so it's a matter of what type of experience you want - the horseback/wilderness thing or being mobile. I would be surprised if they have any availability for 2019 left unless there are some cancellations. Jay Scott Outdoors has done podcasts with both outfitters if you want to hear interviews with them.

NebraskaStickHunter

Lil-Rokslider
We ran into both outfitters last year. The Gunnison country guide said they were 10 miles in on trails so could be a long ride in potentially. We didn’t talk to AEI guide but he was heading back to a horsecamp 6 miles in on easier terrain but not sure how they were doing in terms of elk.