CO S17

Seth

WKR
I was quite fortunate to pull the NR ram tag for S17, the South Collegiate Peaks. I would like to speak with anyone with some experience in this unit. I have been e-scouting and going over paper maps, and now feel I can ask some intelligent questions.

I know the tag is a gift, and statistically the only ram tag I am likely to draw. I have been hiking with a weighted pack since the draw results came out and focusing on climbing. I hunted ewes with a longbow in S32 a dozen years ago, so know what I am facing physically and mentally. I will give this tag all I have, and plan boots on the ground scouting starting mid-July.

OP
S

Seth

WKR
Thanks for the PM’s and support. I will keep you all posted on how it goes.

OP
S

Seth

WKR
For those that sent PM’s, thank you. As a brief hunt recap, In 14 days hunting (11 solo), I saw 40 sheep and 53 goats. Of the sheep seen, only one was a legal ram. He was two miles away with a 2500’ canyon between us. While I did not fill my tag, the experience was well worth all the effort and planning. The country is amazing, the animals majestic, and the memories will last a lifetime.

OutdoorAg

WKR
Hi Seth - question out of pure curiosity:

For yourself, and others, who draw a once in a lifetime tag, why not hire an outfitter with experience in the unit? I understand the desire to DIY, but these insanely hard to draw tags seem like a great opportunity to pair up with the assistance of an outfit who can help close the gap. Is there something I'm missing? Obviously there is a financial component here, so if thats it, then I understand.

OP
S

Seth

WKR
I appreciate the question as it is something I have wrestled with. For me personally, it is all about the totality of the experience in learning a new area and a new animal. I get a great deal of satisfaction out of doing things myself, even if I don’t fill a tag. The financial aspect for this hunt is certainly a component with backpack hunts starting at $8500. For our family, that is more than we spend on vacations over several years. At the end of the day, the experience and memories are worth more to me than a mount on a wall.

As an example, I spent two long weekends in the unit scouting with my 10 year old son ahead of the season. Those memories, coupled with seeing his excitement as he watched 5 rams in the spotting scope are priceless. It really lit a fire within him. With a guide paid for, it is not likely we would have made those trips and memories.