CO ski towns w/decent chukar hunting

Vandy321

WKR
I dint spend alot of time on I-70...and this is my first year for upland in CO. Waterfowler and upland hunting was in my past in the NW and also the SE.

Picking up a new DK pup in a few weeks. He won't be ready to hunt in Nov, but I do want to get him some time with wild birds by then. I have access to pen raised pheasant and chukar on the front range, as well as land to train, but not wild. Hoping I can have the dog ready for a hunt late Jan out of state.

My family is wanting to spend Thanksgiving in the mountains at a ski town...I'd like to make use of the western slope to get my pup on some chukar. Figure anywhere west of Avon/Beaver creek or maybe down by aspen/snowmass...counting on having to drive west a bit still to get out of the snow, but any other suggestions if you were limited to resort towns?

PM is fine if that is preferred. Not a ton of chukar info online other than "the western slope". I'd like to be down on the Gunnison, but thays a 2 hour drive If we were to stay in snowmass.

hobbes

WKR
I hunted elk around Avon/Beaver Creek a lot when I lived there. Other than blue grouse, there is no other upland in the region to speak of. I've heard that there are ptarmigan near the tunnels but I never hunted them.

I'm assuming that you've looked at Google:
Screenshot_20210811-192229.png

Last edited:
  • Banned
OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
Whats google?

Yes, says Colorado and Gunnison drainages on the wester slope. Question was specific to ski town, as the family wants to vacation somewhere (vail, beaver creek, snowmasa, etc) for Thanksgiving. My guess was Avon was my best bet, just seeking additional inputs, might need to stay in snowmass and drive a few hours in the morning down towards Delta.

Last edited:

hobbes

WKR
I didn't see them around Avon and never heard anyone mention them. I worked for the Town of Avon, 2006 to 11. Would Telluride or Crested Butte put you close to them?

• Banned
OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
CB might, that's a good point, I'll do some more digging on the montrose area

thejones

WKR
Check out Powderhorn resort. It is only 40ish miles from Grand Junction. If you are looking for a true "ski town" to stay, you will need to look at a longer drive for your activities.

hobbes

WKR
Good luck. Other than blues with a bow, I didn't get back into upland until I moved to MT. Before that it was bobwhites in Illinois.

wildcat33

WKR
you don’t hear of much chukar hunting in CO but they are around. Gunnison is the right body of water but look closer to montrose. Hint.

Oregon

WKR
6800' elevation seems about as high as you'll ever find chukar. Maybe someone has found them higher. I don't think anywhere above that number in Wa, Or, ID, NV you will find a Chukar.