CO Units 80/81 Mule Deer Muzzleloader

hikeswithbow

Hello all,

My plan to hunt 80/81 Elk Archery turned into a mule deer hunt since we drew a muzzleloader tag. Season dates are September 11-19.
Can anyone tell me a little about general mule deer habits/activity that time of year?
This will be our first time mule deer hunting, and our first time in Colorado. We typically hunt whitetail and have also elk archery hunted Idaho.
Thanks

Wapiti1

Do some searches on here for archery mule deer tactics in Sept.

Generally speaking, the bucks will be as high as they can get and stay at or above alpine level. With the way the year is going, pay attention to drainages that have water. Some may be dry that would normally not be. By the end of your hunt dates, a few bucks will start to descend into timber to shed velvet not be seen again until November.

It's a hike to the top and glass them kind of hunt. Lots and lots of glassing to find a buck you want. Or not a lot if you are not picky. If you are seeing does, you are probably too low on the mountain.

Have fun and hope for rain. September may be smoky this year.

Jeremy

Deerman82

I was here last sept elk hunting like wapiti said they will be high and early morning and late evening will be feeding in the meadows during the day they were bedded up in down timber between 10500-11500 seen a couple giants though

OP
hikeswithbow

hikeswithbow

I was here last sept elk hunting like wapiti said they will be high and early morning and late evening will be feeding in the meadows during the day they were bedded up in down timber between 10500-11500 seen a couple giants though
Sounds like we will for sure need to spike camp up high!

Splitbrow

I’ve seen big bucks in 80 in high country early season. I’ve seen the biggest just inside the timber though, bumped them out

OP
hikeswithbow

hikeswithbow

I’ve seen big bucks in 80 in high country early season. I’ve seen the biggest just inside the timber though, bumped them out
Do they like to stay high, close to and slightly above the timberline? I’m wondering if water might be the main thing to look for with it being dry this year.

Splitbrow

Most of what I’ve seen was right at timberline, it’s very possible that because I was elk hunting in that unit, I spent my time in the timber so that’s where I happened to see them. I would also bet they’d be feeding above it at first light then move down into the timber to bed

OP
hikeswithbow

hikeswithbow

Most of what I’ve seen was right at timberline, it’s very possible that because I was elk hunting in that unit, I spent my time in the timber so that’s where I happened to see them. I would also bet they’d be feeding above it at first light then move down into the timber to bed
So they in general spend more time above the timber than elk would?