Cody Carr?

tbarile

FNG
I'm looking to do an archery Elk hunt and found Cody Carr out of Montana. I've contacted several of his references but always looking to hear as much as possible. Anyone have first have knowledge of him? Thanks

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Check prior hunts posted from last fall someone hunted with him on here......knowing the area well this is a difficult hunt terrain wise combined with wolf numbers and lower than average elk numbers in this region 121 than decades ago.....

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I grew up in the same town as Mr. Carr. My brother still lives there and has hunted the same areas for over 30 years. Mr. Carr does ok for the area, but as Ross alluded to above, the terrain and game populations are not good. My brother normally gets an elk, but he hunted 40 days this year, and although he saw some critters he was unable to connect. He said the locals now leave NW Montana if they really want to get something. It certainly isn't as good as it used to be. The wolves have decimated the elk and deer herds.

In short, your money would probably be more effective elsewhere.

MTguy0341

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted 25 days up there this year, there's elk but as stated above, elk numbers are down.

weatherbow21

Lil-Rokslider
You won't find a better outfit than Codys I can tell you that. I won a bear hunt with him last year through huntin fool, can't speak to the elk hunting but Cody, his wife, his dad and guides as well as his amenities are top notch

KHNC

WKR
You will do well if you hunt Mtn Lion or Bears with Cody. You will likely get much better at hiking if you attempt to hunt elk up there with him. I did a rifle hunt last november. I wont be hunting that area ever again as long as i live. Not for elk anyway. Food and lodging are excellent, if that matters.

KHNC

WKR
I grew up in the same town as Mr. Carr. My brother still lives there and has hunted the same areas for over 30 years. Mr. Carr does ok for the area, but as Ross alluded to above, the terrain and game populations are not good. My brother normally gets an elk, but he hunted 40 days this year, and although he saw some critters he was unable to connect. He said the locals now leave NW Montana if they really want to get something. It certainly isn't as good as it used to be. The wolves have decimated the elk and deer herds.

In short, your money would probably be more effective elsewhere.

x10

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yeah I quit hunting there over 10 years ago because I tended to see more wolf tracks than deer tracks. Last time I was in our whitetail honey hole the damned wolves were howling and almost no deer sign.

My brother still finds a few cats with his dogs but not as many as a few years ago.

Trial153

WKR
he gets about 50/50 reviews on bow site. Thats pretty piss poor. He also runs a ton of hunters through, every review mentions 6, 8 10 guys in camp. Those two things alone would be enough for me to stay clear.

KHNC

WKR
he gets about 50/50 reviews on bow site. Thats pretty piss poor. He also runs a ton of hunters through, every review mentions 6, 8 10 guys in camp. Those two things alone would be enough for me to stay clear.

And he has multiple camps running at the same time. Overlapping guides too in both areas. Add that to the public pressure, and its no wonder the success rates are so terrible in that area.

Sako76

WKR
I hunt with a couple of guys that hunted with CC, they speak highly of him. 3 guys went elk and deer hunting with him for a total of 6 trips. They harvested 3 bull elk and 0 mule deer although there were a couple of misses. One elk was a decent 6x7. They hunted public land which tended to be straight up or down. They only saw a couple of elk each trip. Not my cup of tea.

Eye

Lil-Rokslider
Tough country. Not the toughest I have seen but its up there.

I am an amateur hunter, last season was my first real year getting after it. I hunted that area pretty hard. I know I am a beginner but with the time, miles and effort I put in, I expected to see a little more activity. If I was coming from out of state, I would pick a different unit.

KHNC

WKR
I hunt with a couple of guys that hunted with CC, they speak highly of him. 3 guys went elk and deer hunting with him for a total of 6 trips. They harvested 3 bull elk and 0 mule deer although there were a couple of misses. One elk was a decent 6x7. They hunted public land which tended to be straight up or down. They only saw a couple of elk each trip. Not my cup of tea.
Were your buddys the guys that were trying to film last season during rifle? If so, they were in the other camp. Supposedly a little easier terrain and higher elk population than the Trout creek area. So if they didnt see much, you can imagine how it is at trout creek. lol

KHNC

WKR
Tough country. Not the toughest I have seen but its up there.

I am an amateur hunter, last season was my first real year getting after it. I hunted that area pretty hard. I know I am a beginner but with the time, miles and effort I put in, I expected to see a little more activity. If I was coming from out of state, I would pick a different unit.
I think you had to be at least 2-3 miles in to have much hope of seeing game in November. The road hunters took care of most of the rest of it. And the ones walking the gated roads for the first mile or so.

Reactions: Eye

Sako76

WKR
KHNC--no, they were there several years ago, one negative, they were hunting Thompson Falls which was a one hour drive from camp. I personally like to stay on the ranch we are hunting, I hate long drives to the hunting area. It is also my understanding that a lot of hunters call "no mas" after hunting the straight up and down terrain. I'm thinking most guys who can afford to go on these types of hunts are older and if they have to hunt "boot camp style" they won't be back. I think CC needs to find easier to hunt terrain or better access ranches. I took the same guys to Colorado to hunt a private 20K acre ranch and we rode 4 miles in on nice roads in Rangers and then started hunting. They thought they died and went to heaven! Almost 100% success rate on both elk and deer.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
D2D00009-60C9-4509-920C-003C83B0A9BA.jpeg1AD22221-4BB0-4F73-9614-6DE8651692CA.jpeg139B71DC-BB69-4FFF-BEF0-87B784A52DC1.jpegIf you like to hunt the crap 💩 no ranches otc jungle elk hunting trout creek is your place to look for a challenge a few I’ve taken in there that B7023403-FC3E-435E-8337-3E40118937DE.jpeg[ATTACH=full

had some fun packouts.....the other one my friend took in there we have see some monsters but was MUCH better before the land sharks arrived this area you walk or ride horses on sketchy trails and you climb slip and fall in the dark nasty once it rains which is pretty much always and then you deal with your second worst enemy fogggg in this country🥳there simply are much easier places to spend $$$ that much money for an opportunity at an elk with much better odds.

Last edited:

KHNC

WKR
^^^thats the damn truth! No doubt some big bulls have been killed in that area. You MUST be in shape to hunt that terrain. Even then, very low odds of even seeing a bull to shoot. Fog is right! When it moves in, visibility is zero. Snow makes it damn near impossible to navigate a super steep slope.