Coffee Pot Road conditions?

TexasCub

WKR
Has anyone been up coffee pot road in the last week? Planning on heading up there on Friday pulling a small camper and looking for any updates to the road condition.

I assume you're referring to the Coffee Pot Rd (aka, Forest Service Rd 600) that begins near Dotsero, CO. If so, the most recent conditions report for the Eagle-Holy Cross District of the White River NF lists Coffee Pot Rd as "open." But that report is dated Sept 20, and I believe they got some snow in the area last week. The office number listed on the report (970-827-5715) might be worth calling for more current info.

Budges Lodge lies at the end of Coffee Pot Rd. They might be willing to give you info on current conditions.

SWOHTR

WKR
Hope it works out for you, but I was scratching my head as to how anyone was supposed to know where that road is...is it the only coffee pot road? I’ve never heard of it.

Elktaco

Lil-Rokslider
I was in that area, not on that road exactly but I think that road is probably dried out and dusty as of now.

espea101

FNG
Just make sure you're aware of the weather - the other side (its a series of FS roads over to Glenwood Springs) is an absolute nightmare if its even drizzled. 15 minutes of light rain and its deadly - thick mud that just cakes. Called Traver's Trail on the Glenwood side, and super steep, not as easy as Coffee Pot.

lpmitch

FNG
If you get a good report and/or when you are up there this weekend reply back with conditions. I'll be up there for third season, weather permitting.

OP
T

TexasCub

WKR
Just make sure you're aware of the weather - the other side (its a series of FS roads over to Glenwood Springs) is an absolute nightmare if its even drizzled. 15 minutes of light rain and its deadly - thick mud that just cakes. Called Traver's Trail on the Glenwood side, and super steep, not as easy as Coffee Pot.

Yeah I know there are spots up there that get nasty. I just want to get the camper up on top so we can venture out from there. I’ve got chains for the truck and the camper but have been dreading making the ascent and descent from and to the river in bad conditions.

espea101

FNG
With chains - should be good on Coffee Pot, though I haven't taken a trailer up there in weather. Chains are what saved me on Travers. Literally saved my life.

SWOHTR

WKR
Yeah I know there are spots up there that get nasty. I just want to get the camper up on top so we can venture out from there. I’ve got chains for the truck and the camper but have been dreading making the ascent and descent from and to the river in bad conditions.
You’re putting words in my mouth! I never said that. Haha.

cshire

FNG
I was up Sweetwater on monday - dry and dusty

Talked to a group that came out coffee pot today. Same - dry and dusty

All snow from last fri and sat is gone. Very dry that side of mountain

Calling for snow Sunday. Would expect dry and dusty until then

cshire

FNG
Scratch what I said last night!

34 and snowing pretty good in meeker Friday morning. My guess is that forest roads will get sloppy pretty quick now

CBA

FNG
i will be up in unit 34 for 4th rifle. How are the roads in the unit now. I have areas on both sides of the unit picked out just in case one side is worse than the other. Likely the west side roads will be harder to travel than coffee pot road. Has anyone been up there lately?

i will be up in unit 34 for 4th rifle. How are the roads in the unit now. I have areas on both sides of the unit picked out just in case one side is worse than the other. Likely the west side roads will be harder to travel than coffee pot road. Has anyone been up there lately?
I was up there October 24 - 26 and the roads weren't bad. Drove up to Crane Park with no road issues.