Snow levels in Montana?

I am leaving for a quick hunt to two different areas in Montana on Thursday night. Still have to decide which one or both. One is near whitehall and the other ennis. Could anyone that has been by either recently please pm me about snow and road conditions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S
Thanks! That is a good one too. I have looked at a few webcams I could find also but am a bit more interested in the road conditions in the mountains.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Just check national weather service. Right now snow chances are pretty low. Wind could be a slight problem though. I hate the wind.......

jimh406

WKR
All of the adjoining states have pass reports, too. If there is chance for rain, then there is chance for snow in most of the passes.

OP
S
I maybe should have clarified a bit. I am more wondering about how much snow is already on the mountains I have in mind. Wondering if vehicles are fine to make it or if I would need tracks. Don’t want to pull a trailer and UTV if I don’t have to. I don’t believe there is that much but just trying to put some feelers out. Thanks for all of the responses so far!

I'm unclear what you mean by "tracks" but I'd definitely bring chains. From I-15 east I'd guess about a foot of snow fell a few days ago, more or less depending on elevation, etc. Sun has been out so paved roads have dried up but it's still cold enough I expect the high country will retain the snow until it warms up more. Shady areas may stay white till spring unless we get a real good chinook. I'm over by Big Timber and we got below zero at night but forecast is 20's or so for lows.

jimh406

WKR
If you plan to hunt above the valley floor, almost anything that falls will be snow. If you plan to try to drive forest service roads, then I'd say bring the tracks. Most towns are in the valleys and say little about the higher elevations which will almost all be snow up higher.

It will be plenty cold at night to be snow at higher elevations. The weather guessers can tell you how much there might be, but better safe than sorry. Also, as noted, snow on the shady side of mtns from the past week will probably still be there. With drifts, you could easily high center with tires.

The Guide

WKR
You do not need tracks. You might need chains due to ice as the snow that fell has been melting, the ground isn't frozen yet, and there is upcoming warming trend with rain and snow predicted for the next 10 days. I'd suggest some boot chains too if you are planning on getting out and doing some bushwack hiking. The areas that have melted and refrozen can be a real treat when you're trying to hike down hill off trail. Light and cheap insurance in your pack.

Jay

Tradchef

WKR
It’s not too bad. I live in willow creek by Whitehall. We got about 10” the other day and it’s slick in spots but the highway is clear. Backroads should be ok. Just have some chains just in case and a shovel.

OP
S
Thanks everyone, that answered my questions! I threw this trip together last minute as I didn’t expect to be going again (went during archery season). I looked all over my town for chains and we don’t have any and there was no time to order them. I am actually leaving Thursday evening and driving all night so nothing I would go by will be open. I did wonder if any big truck stops that are open 24hrs would by chance have some. Doubtful, especially in my size, but I am going to check. Coming from eastern North Dakota on i94

The Guide

WKR
Walmart usually has them. Just some basic chains are all that might be needed. You won't be busting drifts and running them all day.

Jay

OP
S
Good info and I will check those places! Thanks!