Cold Weather Gear Volume

Muddler

Lil-Rokslider
For those of you that have cold weather gear like FL Sanctuary/Solitude, Sitka Incinerator/Fanatic, could you estimate how much volume the jacket/bibs occupy in a pack?

I need to get some cold weather stuff for the late season but also need to get a good pack and am trying to figure out how much room this stuff will occupy. Help is much appreciated.

Answer may depend on what size you wear and how you pack them.

For day hunts, I hunt a 25 liter MR pop up in early season when I don’t need layers. I switch to a larger pack when I start carrying heavier clothes for warmth.

I have a set of solitude bibs and jacket. Both are xxl. They take up about half of my 45 liter sawtooth without compression other than the pack. I would say roughly 20-25 liters. I could cut that with a compression sack but don’t care to bother. Makes it easier and quieter to pull them in and out of the pack.

Ace8

FNG
A lot, there isnt much pack-ability in any of those mentioned IMO. However, I use the outer straps and strap to the outside or bottom of the bag rather than trying to cram it all in.

ChrisAU

WKR
A lot, there isnt much pack-ability in any of those mentioned IMO. However, I use the outer straps and strap to the outside or bottom of the bag rather than trying to cram it all in.

This, I strap a First Lite Woodbury to the outside of my Kuiu Stalker 500 pack.

Tod osier

WKR

Yes, I hate stuffing bulky stiff clothes in a bag and prefer to strap it on.

This past week in the cold temps, I was packing my extreme cold outers and my 12 year old's stuff too along with a sleeping bag for him - that was a pile of stuff.

Last edited:
OP
M

Muddler

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the info. I guess I need to decide if I want a big pack that I can stuff everything into or go a little smaller and strap to the outside.