Cold weather pants

Hey all, first post from a long time lurker here. I’m in a pant conundrum and I’m sure you guys could help me out.
What I’m looking for is basically a cold weather softshell pant. I would like a pant that is:
1) Quiet enough to still hunt for moose in the brush on cold and wet days.
2) Wind resistant. To wear on the tree stand and, God willing, on an eventual windswept big time balls out backpack western hunt.
3) Somewhat breathable, I’d also like to wear them for high exertion winter outdoor rec like snowshoeing or x-country skiing
I’m not looking for a 100% performance here, just something versatile and decent for the above endeavors. I’ve looked at the non hunting specific offerings (mostly Arcteryx, Marmot, Rab) and would probably have gone with that if it wasn’t for the “swish-swish” noise of the fabric. I read great things about the FL Catalyst and the Sitka Timberline but I’m not sure about their wind resistance. Anyone knows more about these or other options? Does the noise of the Artceryx-style pants goes away with time?
Thanks!

Trial153

WKR
Take a look at Sitka Dakota pants. I think they will do most of what your asking.

I would say the kuiu guides will do what you are looking for. They have huge vents and big slash pockets and cargo pockets to open a dump heat but when zipped up do pretty well in the wind (much better than the guide jacket). Other option is kuiu Axis but not enough use with them yet to know how much better if at all they perform than the guide. Kuiu attacks don’t have quite enough water resistance for what you are looking to do and not enough wind resistance. Haven’t looked into the non hunting brands you mentioned but these 3 kuiu pants have outdone Sitka mountain pants and a list of other off brand pants. I’ve tried on a bunch more but those 3 are the top.

I picked up a pair of the Kuiu Axis pants for this year's cold hunting days. I wore them every single day and they are awesome. They do have a slight swooshing sound, but anything other than fleece pants will have the same noise level from my experience. They are very warm and incredibly wind and water resistant. They are fairly thick but incredibly stretchy. They stretch more than the Kuiu Guides and Attacks. Nearly as stretchy, possibly just as much so, as the Timberline/Mountain pant. It is a soft shell pant backed with fleece. It keeps the heat in very well but also has the hip vents to dump heat. They are very effective and the main reason Kuiu's pants are on another level from Sitka and FL. They also have water proof knees and rear. I believe the waterproof membrane is sandwiched between the outer soft shell and the inner fleece as I have gotten my knees really we (the outside fabric) but nothing has made it through to the inside. Amazing pant. Too bad their camo is silly looking, so I just got grey :)

BBalash3

Lil-Rokslider
I like to just layer the KUIU Kenai pants under whatever pants I’m wearing, timberline, attack, EB guide pro, etc...this gives you a lot of versatility since they breath well and can be added/removed without taking your boots off.

I bow hunt white tails from the ground in kuiu attacks and Sitka timberlines. Both need a base layer underneath for really cold temps. Of the two, I tend to wear the timberlines more later in the season but they are heavier due to all the reinforcements in the butt and knees.

OP
M
Thanks a lot everybody for the suggestions! I never even thought about Kuiu, I will sure look at their offerings and the Dakota from Sitka. I'm just back from a weekend of camping and small game hunting here in the snowy and windy Quebec winter and I wish I had asked earlier because I nearly froze my balls off lol

*zap*

WKR
The military pcu level 5 pant would work well for you, its pretty quite unlike the pcu level 5 jacket. Multicam or ACU camo, good pockets, 1/4 zip pant bottoms and some zip on each side top to get to pockets underneath/vent, belt loops, zip fly. ACU will be very inexpensive, multicam will cost more. Sized for regular size worn to fit over other layers but length is on the shorter side...I am 6' and like a long in these. They are my favorite shell pant.

I think you would be happy with them. They are pretty well built and take abuse well.

The military pcu level 5 pant would work well for you, its pretty quite unlike the pcu level 5 jacket. Multicam or ACU camo, good pockets, 1/4 zip pant bottoms and some zip on each side top to get to pockets underneath/vent, belt loops, zip fly. ACU will be very inexpensive, multicam will cost more. Sized for regular size worn to fit over other layers but length is on the shorter side...I am 6' and like a long in these. They are my favorite shell pant.

I think you would be happy with them. They are pretty well built and take abuse well.
I have these in a year and I really like them. I’ll wear them over my attack or alpine pants if there is a lot of early morning dew or if it’s lightly raining all day. Even if they get wet with the other layers I have on seem to dry out fairly quick. And they block wind really well. I even wear them and the jacket when I’m riding my dirt bike in colder weather they are pretty durable and I only paid like $50 for the set at the surplus store. As much as I like Kuiu sitka and stuff like it I just can’t afford everything I want and the surplus clothing has gotten way better now then it was 20 years ago and I would freeze wearing all that cotton.

Everything you are asking for can be found with the Kryptek Cadog pant. These pants surpassed my expectations on the cold prairie last November. -5-10 degrees with 20-30 mph winds is ugly on the prairie. The Cadogs paired with long underwear and gaiters were awesome. I bought another pair off of camofire recently for $129.

I'm with Desk Jockey and find Timberlines to be the best pants overall. Including moose and treestand hunting. I injured myself on a Canadian moose hunt and had to spend a day in the tree to recoup. Hated it but wasn't cold. I prefer aerowool base layers most times but will go to a heavier option if necessary. The built in kneepads saved me from gravity more than once. BTW...a Shacket in the treestand is a nice piece of kit too.

MOOSEMAN2.jpgMOOSE2.jpgtreestandman.jpg

Last edited:

*zap*

WKR
I have these in a year and I really like them. I’ll wear them over my attack or alpine pants if there is a lot of early morning dew or if it’s lightly raining all day. Even if they get wet with the other layers I have on seem to dry out fairly quick. And they block wind really well. I even wear them and the jacket when I’m riding my dirt bike in colder weather they are pretty durable and I only paid like $50 for the set at the surplus store. As much as I like Kuiu sitka and stuff like it I just can’t afford everything I want and the surplus clothing has gotten way better now then it was 20 years ago and I would freeze wearing all that cotton.
I like em better than anything I have seen by the high end clothing manufacturers.