College Student Advice

Me and two other buddies are looking to make an out of state Western Hunt in the fall of 2021. Trying to ball on a budget we were thinking an OTC DIY mule deer hunt. Personally I was leaning towards a Rifle hunt in Idaho. Does any one have any tips or recommendations on other states or other hunts?

Thanks

pdmich

FNG
There's only a few states that are truly OTC for mule deer. Idaho for rifle, Arizona has great opportunity if you're willing to archery hunt. Wyoming and Colorado require draw applications. Although some units are guaranteed draw.

prongbuck

FNG
This probably isn't the advice you want to hear, but here goes. Concentrate on college. Get your degree and then a good job. You have the rest of your life to hunt. It would be difficult to hunt the OTC rifle hunts in Idaho mid October and be in class at the same time. I was in your shoes 30 years ago and too many hunting distractions led to the fact that I never finished college. Hell yeah I had some great hunts, but I have always regreted not getting that college diploma.

Donk

Lil-Rokslider
Bro, I don’t know your financial situation so take my advice with a grain of salt. If you are even thinking of using ANY of your left over student loan money to finance this trip you are crazy. I’m 42 and dealing with a small student load debt for my Masters. It is one of the biggest regrets going into debt for it. I’m paying more than the minimum but the interest kills you. My advise is this, go on a road trip during hunting season next year. No tags, no new gear, no new weapons and enjoy the experience. Scout an area and keep track of what everything cost. It will surprise you. If you have a job and no student loans go for it. Idaho or the Wyoming option or a doe or cow tag could be a great hunt. You could buy a point in Wyoming or Montana still this year and burn it on a ok unit or a reduced price cow tag in Wyoming (I think) . At your age burning one point is not a big deal. Best of luck.

archp625

WKR
Me and two other buddies are looking to make an out of state Western Hunt in the fall of 2021. Trying to ball on a budget we were thinking an OTC DIY mule deer hunt. Personally I was leaning towards a Rifle hunt in Idaho. Does any one have any tips or recommendations on other states or other hunts?

Thanks
If I were you I would look for an area that you want to hunt next year and go out this year. Camp, scout, get to know the area. That way next year hen you have a tag in hand you are night and day better off than the next guy.

As someone else mentioned. Don't get a student loan or borrow money to go.

[great advice
QUOTE="Donk, post: 1732754, member: 32170"]
Bro, I don’t know your financial situation so take my advice with a grain of salt. If you are even thinking of using ANY of your left over student loan money to finance this trip you are crazy. I’m 42 and dealing with a small student load debt for my Masters. It is one of the biggest regrets going into debt for it. I’m paying more than the minimum but the interest kills you. My advise is this, go on a road trip during hunting season next year. No tags, no new gear, no new weapons and enjoy the experience. Scout an area and keep track of what everything cost. It will surprise you. If you have a job and no student loans go for it. Idaho or the Wyoming option or a doe or cow tag could be a great hunt. You could buy a point in Wyoming or Montana still this year and burn it on a ok unit or a reduced price cow tag in Wyoming (I think) . At your age burning one point is not a big deal. Best of luck.
[/QUOTE]

jmh00043

FNG

Thanks
Idaho will be your best bet. Possibly buy PP for Montana and then draw general next season. My opinion is look at a state you wanna hunt in future and start getting PP for a decent limited hunt. Take my opinion with grain of salt. I have done Standing Rock reservation in SD and killed a decent one. PM if you want details

WCB

WKR
Get OTC only out of your mind. WY and MT can be had with zero or 1 pt. buy a point for those states this year and put in for next spring. If you bow hunt you can open up some more opportunity.

I agree partially with some of the advice above about not using student loans to finance the trip and financial advice.

This probably isn't the advice you want to hear, but here goes. Concentrate on college. Get your degree and then a good job. You have the rest of your life to hunt. It would be difficult to hunt the OTC rifle hunts in Idaho mid October and be in class at the same time. I was in your shoes 30 years ago and too many hunting distractions led to the fact that I never finished college. Hell yeah I had some great hunts, but I have always regreted not getting that college diploma.

I agree with your sentiment prongbuck but unless his grades are terrible and he is letting stuff slip school wise...There is zero reason to put off hunting until after college. I hunted at minimum 4 days a week the majority of Sept-Nov as we had a hunting shack about 3 hours from where I went to school. Scheduled classes only on Tues and Thurs gone Friday through Monday. Class and a job at the local hardware store Tues, Wed, Thursday.

Just get your work done and pay attention to finances go hunt and have a good time. The only thing I regret from college is not taking advantage of how easy tags in most states were back then.

DunnCoHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I would just make it happen man. I wish I would have done more stuff like that when I was in college. I think too many people think they need to shell out tons of money on quality gear when they are young. Camp out to save money on a hotel. Nebraska is a cheap OTC tag and a pretty easy drive for most people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

j_volt

WKR
I would recommend also looking into a general Montana deer tag (and buy a PP this year). The tag is relatively expensive, though.

I did A LOT of dumb things in college, but it was never hunting. I say go for it! This also sets the precedent for any future wife that a western trip is a mandatory part of each fall.

rustyN

Lil-Rokslider

Horrible advice if you ask me. Getting out and hunting helped me get through college. Had to get away from everything and reset, always came back more focused. Not just that, but it reminded me why I NEEDED to finish school, so I could have the ability to do that more often.

OP - Nebraska is OTC and you can have a decent shot at an average muley if you put in some miles.

Skyhigh

Lil-Rokslider
I am a grad student and still in college, but graduated a couple years ago with my bachelors. You 100% should go, as stated above, you will likely never have more free time or ability to go. A week or two won't kill you, and with how things are looking right now there is a good chance classes will be online anyway (or have an online option), so if needed you could run to town to tune in for the class. Some of my greatest memories in my limited life experience revolve around hunting and doing crazy sh*t related to go hunting, only possible because I had the freedom and free time of college.

As far as states with OTC rifle, Idaho and Nebraska both have them, of the two for mule deer Idaho is by far the better option for public land. I would go the preference point route for an easy draw state/unit though personally, MT, some units in CO (not sure if you can still get a point for CO), some in WY.

Get out there and have fun!

fatlander

WKR
How long can you hunt?

That’s the real question you need to ask yourself.

If you’ve got 10 plus days off, then it’s doable. If not, it’s a waste of your money. Focus on getting a good job out of school that will afford you the time off and the funds to hunt every fall. That’s what I did and I couldn’t be happier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fitzwho

WKR
I would say go. I wish I had even thought about starting to apply out west around the time I was in college. I had some good jobs during the summers and I would have been able to build some points in a couple states and been ahead of the game in those places now. I hunted a lot of ducks in college, along with some Texas whitetails like I always had. I was totally oblivious to the west... Idiot.

That said, I would ask where you are located? I would look for the closest place you can find. Don't burn 2-3 days driving somewhere if you don't have to. And like a few guys have said above, figure out where you want to go, and go this year to check it out. Depending on where you decide, you could go scout for deer and do some small game/upland hunting this year, while you check it out.

Jim1187

Lil-Rokslider
I don't have a lot to add with regards to advice. I'd like to add a spring bear or turkey hunt could be a fun option, could make academic commitments less of a concern and may reduce distance and logistics if you're on the east coast as your name implies or it could provide an excuse to explore areas that appeal to you for a western hunt and find boots on the ground information to make future hunts more successful.
I commend you and wish you the best of success.

Last edited: