Colorado 2nd Rifle

wondering what to expect in terms of elk movement with the lack of weather. With the unit being higher than the majority of the state, I am curious as to what tendencies herds will have with little to snow up high.

Our group has three tags, each tag holder is in their 60’s with sons to boot (me being one of the boys). Historically our group has spent most of our time in another unit but due to The Creep, the ol’ Boys wanted to cash in before they turned 100. They are all in decent shape but being realistic, we know from the maps and research, this unit is physically demanding.

In terms of elevation, where should we be focusing our efforts? The gut says go high but we know that elk will be scattered high and low regardless. The plan is to hike as much as needed but will be camping out of wall tents with no horses, so deep dives into the mountains will be limited to day trips. Not looking for “the spot”, as those don’t occur in nature. But any generalized tips or advice for the area would be appreciated.

Side note, is the bar in Creede where Robert Ford was shot still around? Big history nut.

Last edited by a moderator:

Marble

WKR
Glass.... and then glass some more. See where they are at and make your plans.

The elk don't leave when it snows, but they will move down a bit if snow is thick enough, or it is really cold.

They will drop down and stay above the snow line.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Tobe_B

Lil-Rokslider
The elk in that unit are staying high. If there isn’t a significant storm they aren’t going to come down in elevation even a little. If you get lucky and have a small storm they will come down briefly in to the timber then go back up when the sun comes out.

Robert Ford was actually shot in a tent bar, not a standing building as far as I know. The tent was located fairly close to where 149 leaves Creede headed towards lake city.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dusky

FNG
I'd drive the highest elevation roads I could, hopefully ones that get into or close to snow, and look for tracks crossing the road. And I'd glass from as high up as possible. I'm of the opinion that the cows come down to where the food is greenest and easiest to get. Super cold can brown the vegetation and isn't as nutritious so they may not be as high as you might think. Look for the best food with security nearby. That could be high or low. I've seen them come low despite high pressure from hunters because the food was that good and they felt confident enough in their escape routes.

Poser

WKR
Based on what I’m seeing right now, and I was out hiking in the high country yesterday, I’d hunt the same areas as first rifle.

Poser

WKR
Hit up Kip’s Cantina while your there as well if you like tacos

You really think that place is good? I wouldn’t go so far to say it’s the most underwhelming $80 I ever spent, but it’s up there. The pizza place in Creede was a bit better than Kip’s, though I recall the Pagosa Springs location of Kips to be noticeably better than Creede.

Tobe_B

Lil-Rokslider
You really think that place is good? I wouldn’t go so far to say it’s the most underwhelming $80 I ever spent, but it’s up there. The pizza place in Creede was a bit better than Kip’s, though I recall the Pagosa Springs location of Kips to be noticeably better than Creede.

The manager at the pizza place is a really close friend of ours. I highly recommend them over Kips. As soon as Kip started expanding the Creede location and adding menu items it started going downhill. Service at kips had always been rather lacking too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hondo0925

Lil-Rokslider
Haha. The Pagosa location does have better service that’s a fact. I guess we should stop derailing this thread in talking about food.
Back to elk hunting!!!! I would check high if this warm weather holds out if it were me.