Colorado 4th season (top tier units)

golfbum

WKR
Looking at burning over a 1/4 century of points in Colorado.

Was wondering how the 4th season went in those top tier units and if I wanted to use archery equipment during the 4th season what units i would stand the best chance of an opportunity at a solid buck.

I know discussing units is not allowed or liked but if anyone wants to share some info via PM i would appreciate it. Im talking about the cream of the crop units in Colorado. I have enough points to draw whatever gives me my best chance

Hnthrdr

WKR
You have put in for 25 years and you don’t have your unit picked out? Honestly there is only one unit to hunt with that many points. Even though I love archery hunting there is no reason to use a bow. That 4th hunt can be hard enough with a rifle. If you want to bow hunt I’d look at an archery tag and hunt them in the alpine

OP
golfbum

golfbum

WKR
You have put in for 25 years and you don’t have your unit picked out? Honestly there is only one unit to hunt with that many points. Even though I love archery hunting there is no reason to use a bow. That 4th hunt can be hard enough with a rifle. If you want to bow hunt I’d look at an archery tag and hunt them in the alpine
Several more then 25 years 😉

That’s correct, i have continued to buy points every year and being an archery hunter I have had opportunities in my home state or others and have never pulled the trigger on Colorado. It was probably stupid but it is where i stand.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I get it, I feel for you since CO’s premier units are not what they once were… Gunnison basin isn’t churning out monsters, lots of deer hunting is down on the west slope. NW got blasted last winter… you basically have the unit to hunt 4th in Co. which some big boys came out with the Gov tags. I’d grab a rifle and go for it. Or if you really felt like you needed a bow do it with your bow

ElGuapo

Lil-Rokslider
5 days almost surely in the Snow would be a hell of a challenge, and no doubt you wouldn’t be killing the best buck that you’d see.

44, all day every day. That’s the only Unit in the state that CPW actually maintains some real age class, with great Genetics.

OneShot

Lil-Rokslider
If you have the points to draw the golden ticket unit during 4th, that’s where I’d apply. If you take your bow, I’d dang sure carry the rifle in a pack, just in case that big buck is not in an area for a stalk.

Jimss

WKR
The top bucks in Colo are currently harvested on lightly hunted eastern plains units where outfitters can limit the number of hunters on large privately owned properties. There are fewer and fewer mature bucks available every year in the top tier units in Western Colo due to all the tags available to hunt rut rifle season dates.

I would urge you to complain to the CPW that you have waited 20+ years for a tag. You have waited that many years for a tag and due to their poor deer management strategies there are very few mature bucks available! It is apparent that they could care less about those that have waited so long in hopes of a quality hunt and experience!

cnelk

WKR
You've waited this long, maybe wait another year see what the BGSS churns out.
There's been some chatter about PP Banking.

You might get 2+ hunts with that many PPs

Wapiti1

WKR
From a trophy standpoint, you might be better off with an early rifle tag. Keeps you from dealing with private land on winter range. Certainly, a tougher physical hunt.

Just a thought.

Jeremy

OP
golfbum

golfbum

WKR
From a trophy standpoint, you might be better off with an early rifle tag. Keeps you from dealing with private land on winter range. Certainly, a tougher physical hunt.

Just a thought.

Jeremy
Thanks but im not interested in that. I want to try with a bow, so if I was going to do the early rifle tag i would just do an archery tag….

Appreciate the idea and thanks again!

Pistolpete28

Lil-Rokslider
You could select a unit than elk hunt it, then if you determine it’s a place you want to deer hunt you can return the following year. If i was in your situation id definitely consider it. Good luck on whatever decision you make.