Colorado Elk 4th Season Rifle

WilliamWS

FNG
Hi All,
I usually put in for 1st rifle tags, but I knew going in that this year I wouldn't be able to do 1st season due to work obligations...so I didn't put in at all. I'm regretting that decision now and am looking at 4th season leftover tags.
I'm just looking for a cow to fill the freezer. Does anyone have any suggestion regarding units for 4th season? I see there are still 4th season tags in units 6, 16, and 17. Would there be decent opportunity to get into some cows in late November in those units?

Also, I've only been hunting elk for 5 years and have only hunted 1st season in the Routt National Forest, mostly units 4 and 441, hiking in several miles and camping solo. So, I have no experience with a later season hunt. I've been doing some reading, but if anyone has any tips for late season, they'd be much appreciated.

Thanks,
William

Ucsdryder

WKR
I won’t comment on units or tactics but I’ll just say be careful. Most of the time you’ll have temps below 0 and big storms with significant snow accumulation is always a possibility.

I know a guy who is very successful in Northern Colorado during the 4rh season.

He told me to stay mobile and don’t get far from your truck. He’s a killer that knows how to play the game .

tracker12

WKR
You might want to look at a cow landowner tag for unit 301. If they get weather those ranches have pretty high success.

dusky

FNG
Look for the best food patches at or near snow line, with private land or
thick timber nearby.

Jaquomo

WKR
Look for the best food patches at or near snow line, with private land or
thick timber nearby.
Nope. Where he is considering hunting, it will all be snow in 4th season, and almost all of the elk will already be way down on the flats on winter range, often private land. But there is always a chance of catching some out in the public land sagebrush. There is a reason why so many late cow tags go unsold over there.

Definitely worth a shot if that's your only option. Take tire chains, serious survival gear to possibly spend a night stuck in your vehicle in subzero temps, and an Inreach if you need to call for help with no cell service. Might want to take an extra gas can in case you need to keep your engine running to stay warm. Snowdrifts appear suddenly, and the clear road you drove in on might be impassable on your way out.

That said, cows are killed in late season on public land in those units every year.

Overdrive

WKR
You'll see plenty of this 4th season, just over the fence on private stayed there for the season.

Attachments

• PXL_20221106_210746992.jpg
    PXL_20221106_210746992.jpg
    478.8 KB · Views: 120
OP
W

WilliamWS

FNG
Thanks for all the advice. Kind of reinforces a lot of what I was thinking. Still might give it a shot.

OP
W

WilliamWS

FNG
Yeah, unfortunately, I probably won't be able to make second season due to work.

We are headed to Colorado for Thanksgiving so I figured we might as well get a 4th season Elk tag for my son (much more affordable for youth as NR). I imagine that there are not many elk in the unit we will be in considering there are still leftover tags for the hunt. We have the advantage of staying at a house that borders public land so the plan is to go for day hikes from the house and not take it too seriously. It will be a bonus if we see some animals and a bonus bonus to get an opportunity at an elk.

Zig4648

FNG
Stay close to the private land food source is best luck. You can hike way back to get away but less concentration of elk. The mountains get sketchy with a lot of snow