Colorado 54 drop camps

gobears870

Lil-Rokslider
Just FYI. We had 54 as our first choice and were booked with Tenderfoot Outfitters for a drop camp in the West Elk Wilderness. Our group didn’t draw the tags so we had to cancel. Turns out most of Tenderfoot’s clients did not draw tags this year when the quota was slashed and they have a lot of openings now.

If you are looking for a camp or guide in that unit I would steer you towards them. I haven’t hunted with them but they came with strong recommendations and were very nice to deal with throughout our booking. Just hoping to help these guys out after this curve ball they were dealt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How many points did you have? How many do they think it will take moving forward? Which season were y'all applying for?

I was in touch with Tenderfoot about possibly going with them this year before I decided to go to Montana instead. The Gunnison area has special meaning to me, so I definitely want to hunt there one day, and Tenderfoot is definitely on the list. Glad to see your feedback. Sitting on 2 points as of this recent draw.

OP
gobears870

gobears870

Lil-Rokslider
We applied for archery and I had two points, but the group had zero. Last year 67% of 0-point applicants drew so we thought we had a good chance. This year it was 22%. They cut the quota by 27% so that killed us and everyone else. I think with 3 points it would be a lock next year - you should be alright with 2 if they bring the tags back up to where they were.

n2mywake

FNG
We applied for archery and I had two points, but the group had zero. Last year 67% of 0-point applicants drew so we thought we had a good chance. This year it was 22%. They cut the quota by 27% so that killed us and everyone else. I think with 3 points it would be a lock next year - you should be alright with 2 if they bring the tags back up to where they were.
Which camp and week of the season did you have booked?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Fred is a great guy. My wife and I did a horseback trip in the summer time. I also have some friends who have hunted with him the past few years.

They went 1-5 for elk in this years draw. One the hunters drew a bear tag so I guess two are going for sure.

OP
gobears870

gobears870

Lil-Rokslider
Which camp and week of the season did you have booked?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I don’t know which location he had for us but it was Sep 18-24

OP
gobears870

gobears870

Lil-Rokslider
We leave Wednesday for DIY 1st Rifle