Colorado Antelope

I am sitting on 5 pts, and looking for a decent buck. A quick review of the stats and I have narrowed down to a handful of units that would require 4 or 5 pts to draw ( 1st Rifle). I am wondering if any one has hunted the Pawnee Grasslands in unit 78, or unit 4,5. I'd like to know how the access is, and if I should expect a lot of pressure even with a draw unit.

I think you meant to say Unit 87 by the Pawnee?

Even tho 87 takes 6 PPs, its not a real 'quality' unit.
Its a 'popular' unit as its so close to FtCo

Pawnee can be good, scout it and go have some fun

I think you meant to say Unit 87 by the Pawnee?

Even tho 87 takes 6 PPs, its not a real 'quality' unit.
Its a 'popular' unit as its so close to FtCo

Pawnee can be good, scout it and go have some fun

Yeah I meant 87, it drew out last year at 5, so there is still a chance. The Pawnee looks like fun, I just wonder about the pressure given there are 80 tags. It is a big area, I will have to take a drive up there an look around this spring.

I'd expect company on the public land in 87. With only about a week long season 87 gets hammered pretty hard on public. There is also quite a bit of private where many of the antelope may get spooked once the shooting begins. I would get there several days in advance of the season and have a few bucks lined out for the first few hours on opening day. There are a few decent bucks available but do your homework! A buddy of mine guides on a private ranch in 87. An average buck on the ranch would be around 74 to 76. A 78+" buck would be a total monster on public land in that unit.

I'd expect company on the public land in 87. With only about a week long season 87 gets hammered pretty hard on public. There is also quite a bit of private where many of the antelope may get spooked once the shooting begins. I would get there several days in advance of the season and have a few bucks lined out for the first few hours on opening day. There are a few decent bucks available but do your homework! A buddy of mine guides on a private ranch in 87. An average buck on the ranch would be around 74 to 76. A 78+" buck would be a total monster on public land in that unit.
That is how I would handle it. I would be happy with a 70" buck though.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

You ought to be able to do fine on 70" bucks in 87...especially if you do what I pointed out in my post above. 87 is super open country with hardly any brush so antelope spook pretty easily and are relatively tough to stalk. Take your time and glass/watch them from a distance. Wait for them to make a mistake and take your time formulating a stalking plan. When they see a vehicle they'll likely be on the run.

I've done 87 two times now. The first day it is non-stop cars driving the roads. The good thing is that the antelope are everywhere. If you are up there a day or two early and can scout out some spots, then you will probably have success just sitting in one spot away from the roads. The Antelope get pushed around quite a bit from all the traffic. The second day is half the traffic of the first day, but still quite a bit. After the weekend it dies out. In both my hunts I took the driving approach for various reasons and was on Antelope multiple times each day. As always, have some good binoculars or a spotting scope to judge quality and use other people to your advantage.

Back