Colorado Archery OTC DIY Hunt

HondoArcher

Lil-Rokslider
That is super slick! Do you use your mountain bikes quite a bit? I do lots of biking on flat trails and was contemplating taking mine. Do you find that it saves time?
Yes, I use mountain bikes also. Sleds, wheel packers, mountain bikes, trailers are all tools. It depends on the location. I generally find places, where they are useful because carrying out 300lbs of meat on your back, is near impossible.
This year I have a LE tag and I have to pack in to get to the big bulls so all these tools are out. Just know that you are not going to pedial your self and 100lbs of gear uphill. It is mostly for the ride back to camp which better be downhill because I will have a camp to haul and 300lbs of meat.

HondoArcher

Lil-Rokslider
Here is a picture of my homemade wheel packer. You have to get the location of the front rack correct so that it works for you. 20200109_111057.jpg

Crschnei

FNG
Here is a picture of my homemade wheel packer. You have to get the location of the front rack correct so that it works for you. View attachment 210483
I am not sure if this is the greatest or worst thing I’ve ever seen. The brakes and front suspension absolutely crack me up. But I bet it works pretty damn well. I’d be laughing till you went cruising past me while I have 80 lbs on my back.

CJF

WKR
Great advice. A buddy of mine who hunted Wyoming 2017 has regretted not shooting a cow elk and told me the same thing. Thanks for reiterating that!
I'll offer advice to the contrary. The first time I elk hunted I had a cow at less than 10 yards broadside, full draw. I did not kill her. Would I have on the last day, absolutely....but not the first. I went on that season to call in 3 bulls within bow range but didn't seal the deal. The next 2 years I killed bulls based on the experience gained during that first season which I would not have gained had I killed that cow during the first season. I've never regretted letting her walk. Just a different perspective to consider.

What you need most to be a successful elk hunter in the future (and you will be back, I'm certain of that much) is to gain experience. If you only hunt one day and kill a cow you will gain experience dealing with a dead elk in the mountains, but you will miss out on some valuable experience hunting the rest of your trip.

Just a different perspective to consider.

HondoArcher

Lil-Rokslider
I am not sure if this is the greatest or worst thing I’ve ever seen. The brakes and front suspension absolutely crack me up. But I bet it works pretty damn well. I’d be laughing till you went cruising past me while I have 80 lbs on my back.
The front suspension does nothing. It was the only forks that I had handy that had disk brake mounts. The end of this video shows me using it taking in a camp. Big tent, trail cams, cooking gear, big spotting scope, and tripod.

Wsud

FNG
Coming from Minnesota, hunt the first OTC units you get to, which are 6/161.
Plenty of elk and people. Hell, you may even run into the BRO guys there
Whats the amount of public land available for hunting in these units?

Great stuff in this thread. Heard it all before our first trip, still got our butts kicked. I’d go back in a heartbeat and plan to as soon as family life allows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk