Colorado dead heads

I'm headed out to Colorado this weekend to do some early season scouting and to see how the altitude effects me. If I stumble across any deadheads, what are Colorado's rules? From what I've found so far, anything but a ram is ok to possess, but do I have to get a tag for it?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
What ever answer you find keep in mind state wildlife areas may have different regulations than the blanket state law

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

burlap

FNG
Also, keep in mind that there are a ton of shed hunters out here that use dogs. Good luck, hope you find some good stuff.

xziang

WKR
Heading out via I70? Have a good weekend!

In regards to using dogs for shed hunting I thought I read dogs in the national forest had to be on a leash?

OP
MO_flatlander
Yeah the beautiful scenic drive across western Kansas on i70!

I'm not really going with the intent find bone. Just want to make sure what the rules are if i do. Thank you!

416mag

FNG
Always hated the drive across Kansas, and I was born there,lol. Keep an eye out for lightning. Its particularly bad this time of year, even without clouds. Still snow in the high country as well

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
What 416mag said. we had a lot of late snow to fuel afternoon thunder/lightening storms. Looks to be more severe than previous years

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

OP
MO_flatlander
I've been checking the forecast and there's 50% chances of thunderstorms the whole weekend. It may turn into an 11 hour drive to play cards in a tent, but it's the only free weekend we have until August.

CoHiCntry

WKR
Not sure where your going but I just got back from a backpacking trip that took us right to 11,000 ft. We were post holing above 10,500. Just something to keep in mind this early...

LaGriz

WKR
MO-flatlander,

View attachment 36952View attachment 36953 I almost got jammed up in 2013 picking up a 6X6 dead head. The game warden was pretty understanding for the most part. I did have pictures of the caucus that helped support my story and I offered to bring him back to the site. He gave me his contact info and recommended I avoid New Mexico on my return trip home. If you report the find and request dribs on the recovery you may be better off. What I was told is they don't know if you killed the critter last year and stashed it. Only to return this year and claim "look what I found". I will attach the pics but most members say they can't view them. I need to find out how to get my pictures posted.

HA, from the thread title i thought you were talking about hippies! I was going to say you have an excellent chance of running into a few up here.

Solohntr

FNG
I shed hunt every year and have ran into many wardens. Never had any issues whatsoever. Driven down I70 with a truckload of sheds and deadheads. I did ask a warden if we ever found a ram if we could pick it up. Warden told us yes but you have to bring to a DOW office and have it "sealed". Hope it helps.