Colorado elk rifle reccomendations

slowS4

FNG
Howdy all!
I'm looking for reccomendations on a new rifle! I've been hunting whitetail my whole life and have recently started elk hunting in colorado. I have used a 30-06 for the longest time so used to higher recoil and am comfortable with it.

From my research, a 300 win mag seems to be one of the best options but I'm open to other opinions.

As far as budget I'm looking to get something on the mid to high end that will serve me well for most big game hunting. I think 1,500 with wiggle room is a solid budget for the rifle (not including glass).

I've looked at some of the tikkas, and a few others but honestly have no brand I am dead set on.

Thanks!!

180ls1

WKR
Any 30cal magnum and "any" 200gr bullet (+/- 10%) will be perfect.

As for the brand, pick what feels good to you. I'd go hold a bunch. I settled on a browning 300prc and it's been fantastic. 300wsm is often overlooked too.

30-06 and 165 gr. Accubonds or Partitions are awesome!!

I really like the Winchester Extreme Weather SS. It's a great solid rifle. My son has one in the 300 WSM which is a really good cartridge. Easy to load for and accurate. The 300 WSM would be one to consider in my book. Tikkas are good rifles as are Sako who actually builds Tikkas I believe. This is the Extreme Tungsten.

Pretty SuperGrade!!

Winchester%20Model%2070%20Super%20Grade%20-%20535203255.jpg

Or this in the Extreme Weather SS. 30-06!!

Winchester%20Model%2070%20Extreme%20Weather%20SS%20-%20535206233.jpg

Last edited:
OP
S

slowS4

FNG
What's wrong with the 30/06?
Good question, it's a very inexpensive old rifle. That's not the biggest issue, I have just had a lot of accuracy issues with it. Tired recounting the scope, different ammo, Yada Yada and no luck.

180ls1

WKR
Good question, it's a very inexpensive old rifle. That's not the biggest issue, I have just had a lot of accuracy issues with it. Tired recounting the scope, different ammo, Yada Yada and no luck.
Keep it for backup. Funny things happen to rifles on road trips.

Last edited:
OP
S

slowS4

FNG
Keep it for backup. Funny things happen to rifles on road trips.
Yup that's the plan. I also realized I wrote that post incorrectly and was unable to edit, I meant to say "I tried re-mounting my scope".

TheViking

WKR
Not trying to hijack your thread, but I have a very lightly used Tikka 300 WM Roughtech for sale in the classifieds in you're interested.

OP
S

slowS4

FNG
I plan on keeping the 30-06 and hoping to get it more dialed in and keep it for a backup. But regardless I do plan on getting a new rifle as it will be a gift from my family for a very important life achievement.

ElPollo

WKR
6 mm/.243 is legal for elk in CO. One of the biggest bulls I ever saw killed in that state was killed by a woman with one shot from a now pretty much defunct 6 mm Remington handloaded with Nosler partitions. A 6 cm or 243 will do the same thing.

sndmn11

WKR
It's a Redfield revolution 3-9x40 on a marlin xl7. Located not far from you.
If you have had accuracy issues with it, I am happy to meet up and put a known happy scope on it to see if that alleviates the issue.

For $1500 you can get a lot of cool rifles, but the optic is probably the most critical piece of the puzzle.