Colorado GMU 171

Cale307

FNG
A couples friends and myself will be taking our chances during 2nd rifle in unit 171, first time for all of us in Colorado. Any tips on preparation, hunter density anticipation, etc. Not looking for your spots just want to be prepared as much as we can be.

cnelk

WKR
Well you picked one of the closest OTC units to the Front Range.

Hunter Density? Now that’s funny. More like ‘Let’s have a Party - bring all your friends’ density.

That’s one season that I’ll stay home for.

But, good luck to you. You’ll probably see elk - all on private land.

OP
Cale307

Cale307

FNG
Well you picked one of the closest OTC units to the Front Range.

Hunter Density? Now that’s funny. More like ‘Let’s have a Party - bring all your friends’ density.

That’s one season that I’ll stay home for.

But, good luck to you. You’ll probably see elk - all on private land.

So look at another unit is what your saying

11boo

WKR
I got my first elk in 171 on public land. Didn’t seem any more of a zoo during rifle season than any other unit. They are all busy.

chaza402

FNG
“I got my first elk in 171 on public land. Didn’t seem any more of a zoo during rifle season than any other unit. They are all busy.
[/QUOTE]
When was this? Everybody in the country who watches a hunting show thinks they should try and take up western big game hunting.
They look around and decide the state with the “most elk” is the place to come. They buy one of the easiest tags to purchase in the West and drop their finger on the OTC map.
I wonder what the odds are of folks dropping their fingers on this unit? I would say they are pretty damn good odds!
Good luck finding public land elk- as a resident elk hunter of 13 years I know my odds of having 2 solid encounters on public land in two weeks of hunting are all I should expect. We hunt hard- avg 6-8 miles a day for a 14-18 days/ season during archery on OTC. Hunted the same spots for 10 years and we know what the elk are doing but it has gotten harder and harder to seal the deal over the past 4 years.
Tip: save your time and money, start applying for points or paying for landowner tags.

A buddy of mine was just up there last year, they actually clear cut a lot of the dark timber so the elk won't be in there in certain areas. Always like camp KOA up there anyway like cnelk said.