Colorado Isolation?

cnelk

WKR
In 2015 we went 5 miles into the Wyoming wilderness on horses for a week.
We saw as many people and camps as I do in my OTC areas in Colorado

Bar

Banned
If you want solitude in elk hunting you have ti open your mind and think like an elk. If you look at a map and pick out what you think are all the hot spots and then go there to hunt. You'll find a lot of hunters who think the same thing as you and probably no elk, because so many hunters are there. You then need to think if you were an elk where would you go now? Elk want solitude way more than you do.

I have a bit of an advantage over some of you because i've been at it awhile. However, I discovered the above pretty early in my hunting career. I'm lucky to see one other hunter now and it's always someone I know. A local.

To hunt elk successfully. You need to know and understand them.

MesaHorseCo.

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Ya I might start looking into Idaho again. Hard to pass up on a elk/cow tag for the same price as Colorado.
Plus could take my nephew for 50 buck tags.

Driving from South Dakota so no matter what I got 10 hour drive roughly anywhere

Idaho would be much better.

Jimss

WKR
Think like an elk! Where would an elk go if there was lots of hunting pressure. If I was an elk in an OTC unit in Colo I'd head to private land or the deepest, darkest, most isolated spot I could find!

Bar

Banned
You can eliminate one of those by not hunting a unit with a lot of private land that they can use.

Poser

WKR
Think like an elk! Where would an elk go if there was lots of hunting pressure. If I was an elk in an OTC unit in Colo I'd head to private land or the deepest, darkest, most isolated spot I could find!

Or the patch of woods by the gate and the trailhead is another 2 miles up the road with no pull outs between the gate and the TH.

njdoxie

WKR
Hunted last year for the first. Pulled up to the trail head, trucks everywhere. Hiked 3 miles set up camp and only saw one person for a week
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Love to see these kind of post, gives me a warm fuzzy feeling that my hotspot will remain hot, as it has been since I found it, only takes one person to spoil it......It's usually ruint when I'm done hunting it, but the elk have a year to forget.

Wapiti66

Lil-Rokslider
Ive been in real deep nasty country and not found elk. Ive also found elk really close to several hunting camps and dozens of vehicles within a half mile of the trailhead. What I mean is they can be found in lots of places, some of which will surprise you no doubt. Of course its better to have an isolated basin all to yourself, but it doesn't have to be a necessity. Elk are where they are.